Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ordered a laptop online - doesn't actually work :)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HappyLibrary

HappyLibrary

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:43 PM

Hi there,

I ordered a refurbished/reconditioned Packard Bell EasyNote TJ74 refurbished laptop from a very well known retailer in the UK called Currys. I received it two days ago. Initally, the laptop stayed on for all of about 5 seconds before shutting down, however I have solved that problem by Googling the text and looking here: http://www.nocrash.com/ncbbs/msgs/3247.shtml. It was basically trying to boot from something other than the HDD itself, so I set the HDD to the top of the list in the BIOS.

Then, the next problem I got was this: I get the "Windows is Starting..." screen, and then a setup services starting message, and then this:
"Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer."

I restart the computer and... nothing happens. No Windows installation/recovery disk came with the laptop.

So, I set the laptop to boot from CD in the BIOS and I have tried using my Dad's Windows 7 disk for his Dell computer, and got to some sort of repair screen, but I then got the message "The version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows." I'm assuming I'm trying to use a 32-bit disc for a 64-bit system... I didn't get any sort of Packard Bell Windows or recovery disc with the laptop. I rang Currys and asked them to send me one, but they said only Packard Bell are allowed to give them to me. Packard Bell's phone lines are closed... So using the Windows 7 Dell disc I have is out of the question, for now, I assume. Although it should have all the things needed for Windows 7 on it, right? I have a unique serial code with this computer to use for it anyway.

EDIT: Was able to find a 64-bit edition disc online and run startup repair using it, apparently no problems were found, and I got a message about ensuring I didn't have any cameras etc. attached... er...

Someone online recommended I disable digital driver signing, so I did that by pressing F8 at one point when it was booting... it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Currys have told me they can do nothing but send a courier to my house to pick up the laptop... I don't get a replacement, simply a refund. I needed this laptop for Monday as I start university.

I've set it back to boot from HDD and I'm getting the "Windows could not finish configuring the system" message again. I have absolutely no idea what was/is installed on the laptop to cause this to happen, and the man instore said this was just one of the faulty laptops to slip through the net. Rubbish, someone in their refurb department just seems to have been very lazy.

Does anyone know anyway at all that I could fix this? Your help would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks.

Edited by HappyLibrary, 24 September 2010 - 06:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rolltide101

rolltide101

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:15 PM

I had a similar problem on a Vista computer before. It was caused by a bad update for me. I had to reinstall to fix the problem. I dont believe there is a fix for this problem. Not that I coud find anyway.

#3 HappyLibrary

HappyLibrary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:34 PM

Ahh, I haven't got any information about updates so I don't think that's the problem anyway. Thanks.

#4 rolltide101

rolltide101

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:47 PM

I wish I coud help you sorry. Someone smarter than me may be able to help you though.

#5 HappyLibrary

HappyLibrary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:52 PM

No worries, thank you for replying :huh: http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/ I have found this and am attempting to burn the x64 bit edition to disc to see if that brings any more joy!

EDIT: According to this, startup repair did not detect a problem...
I give up, still getting the same message after three hours. I can only hope changing the boot order in the BIOS and using a recovery disc hasn't voided my warranty or something and I get my money refunded... Good night.

Edited by HappyLibrary, 24 September 2010 - 06:22 PM.

#6 HappyLibrary

HappyLibrary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:23 AM

Ahh! I was really expecting another reply by now... anyone?

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

Did the refurbished laptop come with an OS installed?

#8 HappyLibrary

HappyLibrary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:50 PM

Did the refurbished laptop come with an OS installed?

Yes, Windows 7 was installed by them, but not properly, as I get that error message about Windows not being configured.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:54 PM

Did the computer come with the COA?

#10 HappyLibrary

HappyLibrary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:59 AM

Did the computer come with the COA?

Yes, on the bottom of the laptop. I took it to another store (much further away) and basically told them I needed it repaired for uni and either wanted a replacement or a repair, not a refund weeks down the line. Sorted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users