Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer and can't get internet

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 h4mza

h4mza

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:23 PM

Got new computer today with Windows 7 installed, quite hard to understand since im an XP guy.

Problem is i can't get internet, connected all cables properly and reset both router and modem and still no. I changed cables there and that, spent 2 hours sorting it out.

Now i can't even remember which cables in which port i had for my old computer, but for now im connected just with a modem and without a router on my old computer.

So i unplugged my ethernet cable which connects to my modem and back of my computer, to the new computer's ethernet port (expecting to get internet). But no i didn't. I unplugged the router for a minute and connected it back and still no internet.

I spent two freaking hours for just a waste. What shall i do? How do i get internet on my new computer?

Just to let you know, when i open internet explorer on new computer with all internet cables connected i get some Web Filter error, telling i do not have valid settings yet, please ensre that you keep connected to internet for 20 minutes while your settings are being download. The thing is how wil it download without a connection?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:39 PM

What software do you have installed? It seems to me that you have some security applications installed.

#3 h4mza

h4mza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:47 PM

What software do you have installed? It seems to me that you have some security applications installed.

Don't know, got loads of them. I couldn't find the Web Filter when i searched for it

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:56 PM

Can you list them or show a screenshot of your internet properties?

#5 h4mza

h4mza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:19 PM

Don't know what exactly to show you on my internet properties, but here is list of my apps

Start menu
Posted Image

Control Panel:
Posted Image

Posted Image

The error i get when i go to internet with all cables connected
Posted Image

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

GO to Control Panel then bring up internet options and go to the proxy tab and see whats there.

#7 h4mza

h4mza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:28 PM

No im not using a proxy, there's nothing there. You meant LAN Settings dialog box right? under Connections tab?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:32 PM

So nothing is listed? Who did you get this computer from?

#9 h4mza

h4mza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

So nothing is listed? Who did you get this computer from?

I bought it brand new from eBay.

Edit: Someone was telling you have to ask username and password from ISP to get internet on new computer :huh:

Edited by h4mza, 24 September 2010 - 03:35 PM.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:48 PM

1) You said you reset the modem. Do you mean you disconnected the power cord from the back of the modem for about 30 seconds?

2) You should not need a user name and password from your ISP to get an internet connection. Your modem obviously worked before so it's already provisioned. You should be able to make your connections, turn on your computer, and get to the internet.

#11 h4mza

h4mza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:53 PM

1) You said you reset the modem. Do you mean you disconnected the power cord from the back of the modem for about 30 seconds?

2) You should not need a user name and password from your ISP to get an internet connection. Your modem obviously worked before so it's already provisioned. You should be able to make your connections, turn on your computer, and get to the internet.

Yes

When i first turned on the computer, i was asked to put my username and country info. After that i just looked at the programs installed. Then i connected all modem and router cables and opened internet explorer and it wouldn't connect. I restarted my computer and still no. I then reset my router by unplugging the power cable for a minute, i did the same for the router. So i then connected the plugs back and opended internet exlorer and still couldn't get internet, but then i get this web filtering thing.

My wifi didn't work at that time so i couldn't connect to my laptop, because i wanted to come here and ask what the problem was.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:08 PM

cryptodan might be on to something here which may or may not have anything to do with your issue. I did a close inspection of your screenshots.

It seems you have 2 ANTI-VIRUS programs installed. Not a good idea to have 2 running at the same time. They can conflict with each other and cause problems.

I noticed Avast Antivirus and Norton Internet Security which includes an antivirus.

My recommendation, turn on the Windows firewall.

Uninstall Norton.

After uninstalling, run the Norton Removal tool found HERE

(your decision whether to install another firewall or keep using the Windows firewall).

about being asked for a user name and country, that may have been WINDOWS asking you to set up a user account.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 September 2010 - 04:08 PM.

#13 h4mza

h4mza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:29 PM

Right i think my problem is Netintelligence, i need to get rid of that crap and then im sorted, but it asks for a damn password, what could it be?

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:03 PM

I also saw the reference to Netintelligence in your screenshot, but had to leave before I researched it.

Now that I'm back home, I did look it up, and it makes sense that it is what could be causing your issue. I see that you are having problems uninstalling it, due to not knowing the password. That's something I cannot help you with.

Netintelligence gives you the ability to filter and customize web access for your children, record all instant messaging conversations, set and monitor time spent on your computers, both on and off line and prevent harmful viruses - in one easy to use combined product. And with our Parental Control version you can use the service on three separate machines as standard.

Recognising that more and more households have multiple machines, Netintelligence is designed to operate on up to 3 separate machines (which do not even need to be physically connected or even in the same building) and which you can then centrally control and manage via an internet based control centre

http://parentalcontrol.netintelligence.com/

edit to add: I found this How do I uninstall Netintelligence (Home Access). It won't help you since it requires online access, which you don't have right now. It also requires you to log in. You would hit a road block at that point if someone else set up the account and you don't know the log in ID.

Let me put out a call to one of our BC advisors. In my searching, I found a topic at another forum about needing a password to remove netintelligence. His solution seemed to work, so I'll get him to help you. In the meantime, someone else may know what to tell you and can advise you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 September 2010 - 05:15 PM.

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:15 PM

Asked by Queen-Evie to take a look here....

i get some Web Filter error

Can you post exact error?

As for removing Netintelligence, see my solution here: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/257744-netintelligence/

Now, let's get some more info from you.....

1. Click Start>Run (Start>"Start search" in Vista).

2. Type in (or copy and paste):

cmd /c ping google.com>%temp%\$.$&notepad %temp%\$.$

and press Enter.

3. Notepad will open.

4. Copy all text in Notepad ([Ctrl-A], then [Ctrl-C]), and then post it (paste = [Ctrl-V]) in your next reply.

=========================================================================

Go Start>Run ("Start search" in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

At Command Prompt, paste this:
ipconfig /all>c:\ipconfig_all.txt&notepad c:\ipconfig_all.txt&exit
Hit Enter.

Copy and paste what you see in Notepad into a Reply here.

========================================================================

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

Edited by Broni, 24 September 2010 - 07:16 PM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users