Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a Reliable wireless mouse

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nosmiley

nosmiley

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:39 PM

I am looking for a reliable, trouble free , wireless mouse, that should last a few years. I presently have a Logitech MX 1100 laser, that worked fine for about a year. I can't remember when it first began to have problems, but it may have been when I clean installed windows 7 , in January of this year. Regardless , the last few weeks it's been jerky, or completely unresponsive quite a few times. The batteries have been changed. It is never more than three feet from the transmitter. I tried downloading the latest drivers, and downloading the latest Setpoint, checking for new windows 7 mouse updates, being sure I wasn't running two mouse programs (microsoft & Logitech)
I relocated the transmitter to a usb port on the front of the computer. That seemed to fix everything for a week. Then it stopped, and the computer locked up, because of "Mouse not detected". It wouldn't even open windows 7. I went to the Logitech wireless forum, and tried some of the suggestions made to other folks having the same problems with the same model. Got no relief. I never did like the Setpoint mess.It continually sent me e-mails. All I need are simple directions and driver updates when available. The forum seemed to be equally devided among people that love this model, and those that have problems.

I'm ready to try something else. I don't choose to spend 30-45 minutes a day screwing around with a mouse. I'm not a gamer, so I don't need lots of features. I use my right hand to scroll. I find I need but a few of the normal features of a wireless mouse, so I don't need the model that does everything. I see Logitech wireless now comes with a short transmitter, rather than the "flash drive " size that this one has. A good idea, if one must use usb on the front.

As mentioned at the beginning, I want something with reliability first. I don't mind changing batteries every few months. I hate the cord on corded mice. Would a Microsoft wireless, work better with windows 7 ?
I really don't want either company "monitoring my activity", as is found in the MS fine print, and seemed to be the case with Logitech. I'm not into things illegal, it's simply the principle of it.

First hand experiences, or models to definitely avoid would be appreciated. I have already used the ratings supplied by Newegg customers, and found no clear cut "winners".
Thanks.

4 gb memory mostly available.
AMD Athlon II x2 260 processor
32 bit windows 7 ultimate.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:20 PM

I have always had good luck with Logitech.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:06 AM

Same here.
I've been using my Logitech Performance Mouse MX since early Jan., and haven't had any problems with it.
I love it.

I really like the Unifying wireless receiver.
You can run up to 6 devices, off of one receiver.
My mouse and keyboard are sharing it, presently.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users