Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB device shuts down my computer!!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 charlieisgr8

charlieisgr8

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

right this problem has been going on for a few months now but today it has annoyed me more than ever as when i plugged in my new webcam 'Kinobo USB Webcam' Webcam link into my Windows XP Lenovo laptop and it shuts down and restarts!
i have tried plugging it in before i turn it on but it gets to the windows loading screen and shuts down again

it says something on a blue screen about shutting down to avoid any damage but it disappears so quickly its not possible to read all of it
this also happens with my USB stick and my ipod nano but doesnt happen when i plug in my phone or camera

i have googled the problem but i couldnt find any relating to laptops
can anyone please help and tell me why and how i can stop this from happening
any info will be much appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:19 PM

Sounds like there is something physically wrong with your USB ports. Depending on the requirements of the device the short only occurs when certain devices are connected.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users