Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:32 PM

My firewalls (software and hardware) seem to have some ports (TCP and UDP) blocked off. I have searched EA's faq to gain some insight on how to fix this problem. They have failed. I know which ports to unblock (THANK YOU EA!), but I have exhausted every idea as how to do it. If somebody, with some knowledge of unblocking ports, could kindly help me.

My Firewalls:

Norton Internet Security 2004
----------------------------------
What I have tried with it:
I have gone into my personal firewall. Clicked on 'Configure.' Went into the 'Advanced' tab. And clicked on 'General.' I added a new override rule which allows all in coming and outgoing connections throught those specific ports.

D-Link DI-604
----------------------------------
What I have tried with it:
Connected to it. Went under the 'Advanced' tab. Clicked on 'Applications.' Created 2 new "rules" for the game. 1 for the TCP ports, and the other for the UDP ports. The game is set to use the port 29900, so the trigger port that tells the firewall when to open them is 29900.

I also have Webroot Spysweeper, and SpyBot. I don't know if there is any kind of connection between them and ports, but I would appreciate it if anybody could tell me how to end this frustration that started when I first clicked on the 'Multiplayer" button.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 07:35 PM

Do you know if it is Norton or the router which is still blocking it? You can test it by temporarily turning the Norton thing off.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:49 AM

Do you want me to simply disable NIS? or do you want me to close the entire process running in the background?

EDIT: I closed the firewall in windows and still I am not able to connect. I think it is my router.

Edited by legoman786, 13 November 2005 - 11:31 AM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:43 AM

You can try to simply forward the ports. You do that under the Advanced/Virtual Server part.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:25 PM

I did try that... There's not enough space for all the ports. There are, I believe, a dozen ports to open, maybe more. I think I have to somehow directly connect my computer to the internet and still make use of the router, so that the other computer can be connected.

Edited by legoman786, 14 November 2005 - 09:57 AM.

- Rick Cook

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 04:42 PM

If the ports are in a range you can use one rule for the whole bunch: i.e. forward ports 25000-25005.

Also you can delete the rules the are there already unless you need them.

#7 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 05:59 PM

I need most of them (EX: FTP, HTTP, etc). I'll get the exact list, so, with your help, I can determine which ones I don't need.

EDIT: Here's the list.

Virtual Server FTP
Virtual Server HTTP
Virtual Server HTTPS
Virtual Server DNS
Virtual Server SMTP
Virtual Server POP3
Virtual Server Telnet
IPSec
PPTP
NetMeeting

Edited by legoman786, 13 November 2005 - 06:02 PM.

- Rick Cook

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:33 AM

Which ones are enabled? If it is enabled, the box in the beginning of the rule name is marked. If it isn't enabled you probably don't need it.

#9 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:47 AM

Surprisingly, they are all disabled. :thumbsup: Also, I updated the firmware for the router. After I did this, though, that list grew.

DCS-1000
DCS-2000/DCS-5300
i2eye
DCS-3120

Also, TCP port 80 is disabled... I don't see how I'm on the net right now. The game needs port 80 to be opened. Should I open it? Or leave it as it is?

Edited by legoman786, 14 November 2005 - 09:57 AM.

- Rick Cook

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:15 PM

There are probably people on this forum much more qualified to explain NATs and port forwarding, but here goes (correct my if I'm wrong):

Your router works as a NAT (Network Address Translator), and what it does is this: You want to view a webpage so you send a request for the webpage using you private IP to your router. The router then catches your requests, examines it and then send it on to the IP of the webserver hosting the page, now using your public IP. The webserver respond and starts to transfer the webpage to your public IP, which leads to your router. Now the router checks its memory to see which of the computers on the LAN requested the webpage, sees it was your computer and forwards the data to your private IP.

This is also how the router works as a firewall: If a trojans starts to scan you public IP's ports it goes to the router, which then checks it memory for which computer was to be scanned. When it finds that none of are, it just ignores the scan and the trojan doesn't get a response, and thus thinks there isn't any computer at that address at all.

Now, this is all fine and dandy, but some types of communication the router cannot forward, and this is where port forwarding comes in. It makes a tunnel through the router direct to your computer for a specific port.

Now for your problem, if none of the rules are enabled and everything is working as it should, you can gladly delete all of them. As for which port you need to forward, it should say somewhere in the manual or the games site. If it need port 80 forwarded depends on what it does with port 80. If it just wants to check for updates, or news, it should be enough to just let it out through port 80 through the firewall.

#11 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:50 PM

That's how a router works in a nutshell. lol

Updates and news are coming in fine. Looks like I don't have to mess with port 80 (for now). Now, all I have to do is to open the required ports to play through the Advanced/Virtual Server setting. I'll do that and get back to you.

I just got a reply from the manufacturers of my router, D-Link. They said to open port 80. When I got to do that, though, I get an error stating that the private is invalid. The private IP has always been "0.0.0.0". What do I do now?

Edited by legoman786, 14 November 2005 - 08:18 PM.

- Rick Cook

#12 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:40 AM

Private IP should for all rules be something like 192.168.x.x You can find it by going to Run and write cmd. In the window write ip config.

#13 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:25 AM

'ip' is not recognized as an internal or external comand, operable program or batch file

Now what? Should I type 'ip config' in RUN?

- Rick Cook

#14 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:39 PM

Ooops, my fault. I meant to say ipconfig in one word.

#15 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:32 PM

okay thanx... i got it. now to forward ALL the ports

- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users