Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP-Pro Clean install Not working

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Requiem7

Requiem7

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:39 AM

Hello,

I've been having problems with my computer at times its slow or it will work just fine and or it will freeze up where I couldn't do anything keyboard and mouse not working. So I would just restart and the computer would take forever to boot up. When I was able to get on I thought its a virus again so I scan with my virus software and run a scan for adware. Nothing came up except some minor tracking cookies. I also try going in safe mode to see if it is one many programs that is taking up the cpu. Even booting in to safe mode took for ever and when I got on it froze. Then I decide I just need to do a clean install of windows, I was able to boot from my cd and I would get to the setup screen it just gives me the title of the screen "Windows Professional Setup" everything is blank, just a blue screen with the title.

So is there anything else I can do or should I give up and just get a new computer? My computer is 4 years old and I think its time but if I can get one more year out it I would like to try.

Any help anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:56 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

System manufacturer and model?

This CD...is it a MS Genuine XP CD...or a CD which was provided by the system manufacturer for restore/recovery purposes?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 September 2010 - 09:57 AM.

#3 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:05 AM

Since you are having problems from two different boot medium, I'd highly suspect a hardware failure. Make sure you have good cd media and it doesnt have scratches and whatnot on it.

Assuming your cd is good, I would suspect the problem would be one of the following, listed most likely to least: 1) hard drive failure, 2) ram failure, 3) mainboard or cpu failure.

Do you have another spare hard drive you can throw in the system and see if the install will work on another drive? This is probably the simplest way to tell if it's the drive or another problem.

Personally, I use a program called "Victoria for Windows" to scan hard drives for functionality. If you can get into windows, you may try to download and install it from a trusted site. It will allow you to check the smart status of the drive as well as perform drive access time tests and stress tests on the drive in question.

To test the ram, I would use a boot disk with memtest86 to test the functionality of your ram.

This CD...is it a MS Genuine XP CD...or a CD which was provided by the system manufacturer for restore/recovery purposes?

Good to ask, I just assumed it was a standard xp install cd since it was a blue screen installer. xD

Edited by Gabrial, 24 September 2010 - 10:07 AM.

#4 Requiem7

Requiem7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:10 AM

Alineware AREA-51 7500-R4
D- CORE 2 DUO 2.13GHZ E6400 2M CACHE 1066MHZ
MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP MEDIA CENTER EDITION 2005 COA OPERATING-provided by Alienware. -Has their name and logo on it

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:31 AM

I would try the clean install again, after changing the BIOS boot options so that the optical drive is first choice...and ensuring that the CD is clean.

Not sure how your disk works...but I would delete any existing partitions on the hard drive before attempting a clean install.

If the install cannot/does not proceed...I would run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Louis

#6 Requiem7

Requiem7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:38 AM

I would try the clean install again, after changing the BIOS boot options so that the optical drive is first choice...and ensuring that the CD is clean.

Not sure how your disk works...but I would delete any existing partitions on the hard drive before attempting a clean install.

If the install cannot/does not proceed...I would run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Louis

How do i change the bios?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

When the system first boots...a screen eventually appears which indicates what key to press to enter the BIOS (also known as Setup).

On many systems, it is the Delete key...on many, it's the F2 key.

But the instructions should appear onscreen as the system boots.

How to access-enter Motherboard BIOS - http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Louis

#8 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

If you are already booting from the CD, it's kind of pointless to get into BIOS to set it to boot to CD, unless you're just curious at this point.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:47 AM

I suspect you may have a hard drive that is failing.
First thing to do is to back up your personal data just in case
Then run chkdsk /r as explained here
This could take a long time so please be patient and let it finish
If it reports problems replace the drive
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 Requiem7

Requiem7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:51 PM

I suspect you may have a hard drive that is failing.
First thing to do is to back up your personal data just in case
Then run chkdsk /r as explained here
This could take a long time so please be patient and let it finish
If it reports problems replace the drive

Hi,
Thank you all! I will run the disk chk. I think you may be right that the hard drive is failing. I used the computer a lot gaming and downloading stuff.

#11 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

Who is your hard drive manufacturer? I can point you to their diagnostic software.

#12 Requiem7

Requiem7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:15 PM

Who is your hard drive manufacturer? I can point you to their diagnostic software.

SEAGATE 250GB SATA 3G 7200RPM 8MB CACHE NCQ

#13 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:52 PM

For Seagate drives you'd probably want Seatools for DOS. You can down load the DOS version and burn it to a cd or write it to a floppy then boot from it and run the diagnostic from within the program. This is a very comprehensive test and will let you know if your drive is failing.

#14 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:34 PM

You might also try reseating the hard drive cables on both ends in case it might be a tad loose
In the beginning there was the command line.

#15 Requiem7

Requiem7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:51 PM

Ok guys I did the disk check and there were errors on the disk and I also made sure that everything was connected in the computer and so far everything is running fine. Thank you all for your help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users