Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Curious waiting!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bodrinbarlow

bodrinbarlow

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:14 AM

Okay this is my first post and i'm perturbed as my desktop started exhibiting strange behaviour a few months ago.

Here is my dilemma, any help is greatly appreciated.

Once the welcome screen is displayed with the user names upon it if any user clicks their name immediately then the computer waits before the Xp jingle is heard and the wallpaper screen with the icons and Start bar along the bottom takes a while (2 minutes to 5 minutes sometimes) before the computer is operational.

However if the Welcome screen is not interacted with for a few minutes (sometimes left on the user log in screen up to 15 minutes whilst busy elsewhere) then the Jingle and Wallpaper screen appears rapidly. Which up until a few months ago, as stated above, it used to do.

The Icons appear at the same time as the Start bar along the bottom and all task bar icons, 6 of them, appear almost instantaneously, and the computer is responsive.

I do have 2 screen grabs but I'm unsure how to attach them to this post!

Now even though I run Firefox as my Browser with SpywareBlaster rules injected, Locked Hosts file, Adblock, FlashBlock and Noscript.
Regularly run scans using, Malwarebytes AntiMalware, SuperAntiSpyware, AVG Free, Spybot S&D, and have even scanned using Rootkit revealer.
Regularly clean and Defrag the registry, Defrag and remove junk files, and am really cautious when on the internet.

I am aware that Windows slows down the more things are installed but the behaviour of my pc is more abnormal than usual to me, once it began loading slowly especially the first time all I had displayed was my wallpaper and nothing else, I popped the Task Manager up looked at the processes that was displayed and noticed that EXPLORER.EXE was loaded, a simple matter of end process and new task (Run) Explorer.exe seemed to work but that was when my suspicions was raised.
Further explorations with the task manager revealed WGATRAY and WUAUCLT Processes (Windows update client, I think) seemed to be slowing the loading time as once they were ended the Start bar and the icons suddenly popped into existence and the Pc became responsive.

My concern is that there is something lurking on my hard drives that is stopping the log on process until the suspected "Something" is initialised properly.

Please help me find the cause if any, Thank You Bodrin!!

Edited by bodrinbarlow, 24 September 2010 - 08:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users