Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop not working

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Marc1

Marc1

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:04 AM

Hello,

I'm after some help please. The laptop's been out of action for some time so I thought I'd take a quick look at it tonight see if I could do anything to get it back up and running but I think it's knackered.

It starts fine, it lets you click on the administrator button and then loads on to the desktop fine with no problems.

As soon as the desktop appears it's ok for literally a few seconds and then the screen goes completely black with the just the pointer/arrow now enlarged stuck on the page and that's it, it won't let you move the cursor around the page or anything.

I can get into safe mode ok. I'm having trouble finding the Graphics Drivers though through Device Manager, I haven't got a clue which one I need to uninstall as I believe it may be a Graphics driver problem that I'm having.

It also won't let me go online so I can't get onto the internet, it says I have no internet connection. The home PC is connected fine to the BT Hub and is working with no problems. I've pressed F1 and the FN button to try and sort out the wireless but I'm still unable to get online. The laptop hasn't been used for a good 5-6 months now at least.

I press right click - Properties - then Settings as the advanced button is under that tab. I then click on the Monitor tab, click on the Screen Refresh rate, press the drop down menu and it all it says is 'Use Hardware default setting'. There are no other options on the drop down menu just that one so I'm unable to check the refresh rate and make sure it's 60ghz.

Also says just underneath that it says;

Hide modes that this monitor cannot display with a tick box, the tick box here is also greyed out so I can't alter anything there either.
The system is XP Home Edition.

It's a Packard Bell Easynote laptop if that's any help. Any help would be great please guys.

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 04 October 2010 - 09:03 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Internal Hardware ~ Hamluisl.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:36 AM

Whats the model number?

#3 Marc1

Marc1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:19 AM

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. The model number is P/N: PB42B00001.

Serial number: 558001140237.

Thanks.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

Can you provide any more information?

#5 Marc1

Marc1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:29 AM

Hi,

I've managed to get the laptop working now however I can't get online, it says there's no internet connection and when I try to find connections in the network it's not listing any.

We have a house PC that's connected through the internet with a BT Home hub and it's working fine. I've pressed the FN and F1 buttons to try and make sure the wireless connection is on but nothing's coming from that.

I've checked SSL and TLS on internet options and they're all fine and checked.

Any advice?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:38 AM

You may need drivers, check the device manager for an yellow triangles.

#7 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:48 PM

It could be anything from a configuation issue to a hardware issue to a driver issue to a tcp/ip stack issue to a malware infection... did both of the problems occur at the same time? what changed on your computer when it started?

#8 Marc1

Marc1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:54 PM

You may need drivers, check the device manager for an yellow triangles.

Hi,

I had a look under Device Manager and there are no yellow triangles from what I can see. It also says the driver is working fine with no problems.

It could be anything from a configuation issue to a hardware issue to a driver issue to a tcp/ip stack issue to a malware infection... did both of the problems occur at the same time? what changed on your computer when it started?

As above the drivers appear to be fine, I'm going to go on the Packard Bell website and see if I can download the latest updates from there to see if that helps. I did a check with Malwarebytes once the computer was up and running and it picked up 11 infections, some were hijacks and some were stolen data which isn't good. I'm going to follow the Malware guide too to see if I have any further joy and to also make sure all infections etc are wiped from the system.

The problem I'm having with connecting wirlessly I only noticed once I'd managed to get the computer up and running again. When it was working properly last time which was around 5/6 months ago it was connecting to the internet with no problem via wireless. The only way it's working now is by inserting the Ethernet cable to the laptop directly from the modem.

#9 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:11 PM

Well, since it works with a hardwire, we know that the issue is with your wifi stuff, and not your tcp/ip stuff. Do you have a wifi light on the computer that turns on when your wifi is active? Not all systems have this. If it's off then you need to find where to turn on the wifi.

So, the first thing we need to do is make sure the wifi hardware is running. There is sometimes a Fn+Key to turn it off and on, other times there is a setting in BIOS, and still other times, there is a physical switch located on the side, front, or near the keyboard of the laptop.

After that, make sure your Wireless Zero Configuration is running.

To turn on the wireless zero configuration service in Windows XP, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type Services.msc, and then click OK.
2. In the right pane, locate and double-click Intel® PROSet/Wireless SSO Service. If the service is not installed, go to step 5.
3. In the Startup type box, click Disabled, and then click Apply.
4. Under Server status, click Stop, and then click OK.
5. In the right pane, locate and double-click Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Service. If the service is not installed, go to step 8.
6. In the Startup type box, click Disabled, and then click Apply.
7. Under Server status, click Stop, and then click OK.
8. In the right pane, locate and double-click Dell wireless WLAN Tray Service. If the service is not installed, go to step 11.
9. In the Startup type box, click Disabled, and then click Apply.
10. Under Server status, click Stop, and then click OK.
11. In the right pane, locate and double-click WZC.
12. In the Startup type box, click Automatic, and then click Apply.
13. Under Server status, click Start, and then click OK.
14. On the File menu, click Exit.

Let me know if its working yet once you finish these steps.

Edited by Gabrial, 26 September 2010 - 02:12 PM.

#10 Marc1

Marc1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:40 AM

Hello,

Thanks again for your reply. I will give that a go later on this evening once I return from work. With regards to the wireless button there is no switch as such, last time I set up the wireless to check available networks I pressed FN + F1 combined and it worked.

It's just doesn't seem to be working now whatsoever. I'll give the configuration a try later on and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks,

Marc

#11 Marc1

Marc1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:54 PM

Hi,

I'm still not able to get on wirelessly, I followed the steps above from steps 11 onward as it was the only one that was applicable to me however when I went to press 'Start' the start button was greyed out. I had press 'stop' before the start button would appear.

It's still not working either way.

#12 Marc1

Marc1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:18 AM

Can anyone else help me at all please?

Thanks.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:42 AM

It would seem to me that your wireless card is either dead or not turned on.

Can you turn the card on by using one of the fn + F* keys?

#14 Marc1

Marc1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:09 PM

It won't work you know, I normally have to press FN + F1 but it doesn't seem to picking up any networks in the area at all.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:59 PM

Can you replace the Wireless Card?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users