Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Rootkit problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 poriet

poriet

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:27 AM

Hi,
I submitted a post yesterday about rootkit viruses, but got no replies and I thought I might change my aftershave.
As I understand it, rootkit viruses are different from other viruses since thay hide in the O/S and virus programs wont see them. Is this true?
Anyway, I searched for rootkit removal on Bleeping Computer and was advised to use Blacklight, which I did ( and came up clean )
I was puzzled that it was so easy to do as I had been advised that removal of rootkits required booting without the O/S.
Anyway, in the Forum area theres no mention of 'rootkits', just 'malware' and I'm unsure what the distinction is. Also the recommended program is 'Malwarebytes' for malware.
Could someone explain all this as I'm confused dot com

Bruce

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users