Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista very slow

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dogeyed Dave

Dogeyed Dave

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:48 AM

Hi i have a Dell Mini 1210.It is running Vista Basic. In fact its mums, she just needed something small and light to keep in touch with family and friends. I have never known it to be fast, however now it is so slow its virtually impossible to carry out any tasks at all. It takes several miniutes just to get to vista splash screen, the several more to put screen saver up. It has 1GB ram and show approx 960mb used in trask manager. I dont believe it to be virus related, rather just too many programs installed. I wondered if you could offer advive on what needs to be running and what doesnt. I would be appreciated as its virtually useless at the moment.

Edited by Dogeyed Dave, 24 September 2010 - 02:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:27 AM

I would get more RAM that will increase performance of your computer. What is happening is that you are using all the available RAM, and stuff is getting paged to the hdd causing the slow down.

#3 Dogeyed Dave

Dogeyed Dave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:18 AM

Is that the only option, that is available? Is there any way to stop unwanted programs starting when i dont need them. For instance there is a icon in system tray belonging to lexmark printer, Lexmark Fast Pics. If i want to exit it to save memory it warns i wont be able to access the printer for instance. If i posted a log is there some way for someone to look and see what i can do without starting until required. Thanks for your help

#4 Dogeyed Dave

Dogeyed Dave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:49 AM

In addition to my previous post i have looked at a memory upgrade for the dell mini. Ufortunately it cannot be upgraded as it is part of the motherboard apparantly.
If anyone know of any way to help me with this i would be very gratefull.

#5 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:13 AM

Hi,
I'll quote from and point you to bleepingcomputer's Startup Programs Database
"Startup programs are programs that are automatically started by Windows when the operating system starts. The problem is that many programs, viruses, hijackers, spyware, and other malware set themselves to start automatically when Windows starts. As more and more programs are started automatically, your computer's valuable resources are drained, causing your computer to operate slowly.

This database will allow you to search for programs that you find starting automatically on your computer and determine if they are considered to be malware (harmful), optional, unnecessary, or necessary to run. To examine your computer for programs that are automatically started by Windows, you can download and install Autoruns by Sysinternals. You can then search for entries found in the programs output using this database to determine if the program should be running. If from the information you decide they are not necessary to run, you can uncheck that entry in the Autoruns program and it will no longer start. .."

You might also look at

How To Use The Startup Database.

Using Microsoft Technet's free Autoruns utility to manage your start-up programs

Does this help you?
tork

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:35 AM

You can also use Windows 7 Starter which is very limited.

#7 Dogeyed Dave

Dogeyed Dave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:54 AM

[quote name='tork' date='Sep 24 2010, 05:13 PM' post='1945481']
Hi,
I'll quote from and point you to bleepingcomputer's Startup Programs Database
"Startup programs are programs that are automatically started by Windows when the operating system starts. The problem is that many programs, viruses, hijackers, spyware, and other malware set themselves to start automatically when Windows starts. As more and more programs are started automatically, your computer's valuable resources are drained, causing your computer to operate slowly.

This database will allow you to search for programs that you find starting automatically on your computer and determine if they are considered to be malware (harmful), optional, unnecessary, or necessary to run. To examine your computer for programs that are automatically started by Windows, you can download and install Autoruns by Sysinternals. You can then search for entries found in the programs output using this database to determine if the program should be running. If from the information you decide they are not necessary to run, you can uncheck that entry in the Autoruns program and it will no longer start. .."

You might also look at

How To Use The Startup Database.

Using Microsoft Technet's free Autoruns utility to manage your start-up programs

Does this help you?
tork
[I will work through all the entries and see what i can find]

#8 Dogeyed Dave

Dogeyed Dave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:33 AM

Looking at the list of running programs i would be hard pressed to actually choose what to delete from the startup list. However i have had a thought!!! I could use a USB drive to act as extra memory using readyboost. I hope it is available in the basic version of Vista?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users