Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cannot open few websites On IE8, Firefox 3.6.10 or the latest stable release of Google Chrome. Webpages are stuck for ever. Seem to load, but they do

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_androidcupcake_*

Guest_androidcupcake_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:38 AM

Hi all.

My first post here.

Well here's my dilemma...

I am a 32-bit Windows 7 user. Mozilla Firefox is my primary web browser. I use IE 8 and Chrome occasionally.

Of late, I do not remember since when, lot of webpages never open completely - they're either refreshing even after opening or keep refreshing without loading the actual page [I'll attach the screenshots, for better clarity]

IMPORTANT thing being, I am able to download music/videos off other websites at the optimum speed. I am on a 512 kbps plan (sucks, yeah) but I do get the desired speed ONLY when downloading something from the internet, that is, somewhere between 60 - 64 kBps download speed. I use IDM to download music/videos, etc.

Here's a screenshot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2387250/s01.JPG -- That's an MS Answers website page - which is stuck in the process of loading for over 5 minutes. It still hasn't loaded BTW.

Another screenshot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2387250/bleeping.JPG -- Make a note that this page has been open for over 5 minutes. Another thing to note, why does it say "waiting for platform0.twitter.com" at the bottom?? I am clueless!

And yes, my Firefox browser is a new install, has not add-ons whatsoever (for now). I reinstalled it from scratch.

P.S The same behavior, as described above happens with IE and Chrome, too. Hence I'm not attaching any screenshots. Even when using IE in no add-ons mode, the issue persists.

Things I have tried:

1. Full system virus scan (not a quick scan) with my fully updated ESET Nod32 AV - no infections found.
2. Full system malware scan using fully updated SUPERAntispyware Professional - no threats/infections found.
3. I even downloaded the free MBAM, updated and did a full scan - no threats found.
4. Tried safe mode w/ networking with no change - problem exists.

As a last resort, I did re-install Windows 7 (msdn copy) from scratch, too. My Windows 7 is fully patched with the latest updates.

EDIT: The webpages' link attached above ARE still in the LOADING phase and have not completely opened!
Thanks in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:20 AM

In the second image your ISP is having issues either connecting to twitter.com or resolving the name.

Are you using your ISP's DNS Servers in your router and on your computer?

#3 Guest_androidcupcake_*

Guest_androidcupcake_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:11 AM

In the second image your ISP is having issues either connecting to twitter.com or resolving the name.

Are you using your ISP's DNS Servers in your router and on your computer?

The answer to your question is Yes, I guess.. What's the way around this? I am planning on changing my ISP soon. But till then, I need a fix to this problem. Is there any?

But why in the 2nd screenshot, when I am trying to open a bleepingcomputer site, is trying to load "twitter.com"? [Excuse my ignorance]

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:46 AM

But why in the 2nd screenshot, when I am trying to open a bleepingcomputer site, is trying to load "twitter.com"? [Excuse my ignorance]

In this case, because there is something from Twitter included in the page. I see Twitter listed in the list in my NoScript attachment I have installed in Firefox. I have Twitter blocked, and there are no problems loading the page. When I allow the Twitter script, I see a small image with the word Tweet on it and a third image looking something like a tag with a 0 on it. With twitter blocked, I see an underlined word saying Tweet instead of the image and no tag-like image.

Theory: It is possible that there is 3rd party content trying to load on those pages you have problems with and your security is blocking the loading of that content, hence, the page won't finish loading.

Suggestion and theory test: Since you use Firefox, install the extension NoScript. You can read about it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722/ In that extension, you can create a whitelist of sites you want to allow to run Javascripts. All other sites will have Javascripts blocked. See if that tutorial will finish loading with twitter blocked but BleepingComputer allowed.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Guest_androidcupcake_*

Guest_androidcupcake_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:55 PM

Thanks mate. I have installed No Scripts and I'll see how it progresses.

Another quick question: When I login to Facebook (Fb) or any other sites, I get a message on the bottom left of the webpage which says "waiting for -----" and the page is stuck on the loading symbol.

Here's a screenshot of how it looks: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2387250/fb.JPG

I have added bleepingcomputer, Fb, and a bunch of sites to whitelist on NoScript, yet I receive the message as shown in the above screenshot.

I haven't had these problems in the past whatsoever. I am to an extent a safe internet surfer and quite technical, not at the expert level as such. I do like to keep my computer free from infection, junk etc.

P.S Why do I not receive notification via email in spite of checking the option to receive them via email??

Thanks!

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,946 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:36 AM

I can address the last question: the e-mail notification system is unreliable. The notices are sent, but they don't necessarily arrive for whatever reason. There are times when I get no notices, times when I get them a day or more later, and other times when I get 6 or more for the same post.
======================

As for Facebook, they did have some issues lately. See here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic349191.html but that wouldn't explain the other sites.

I'm getting to the end of my know-how, but I can at least supply some ideas and questions.

Possibilities: Firewall settings may be blocking things; perhaps something in computer services needs to be activated that isn't; are you on a router - perhaps something there is messed up. Another question: have you noticed unusual network activity?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:11 AM

Sometimes "vacuuming" Firefox's SQLite will speed up Firefox. There are scripted commands for this or you
can use a program that is similar to Ccleaner called BleachBit that will do it quicker. I use BleachBit in Windows and
Ubuntu. So far, after more than a year, no problems with using it.

http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/
BleachBit quickly frees disk space, removes hidden junk, and easily guards your privacy. Erase cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, remove unused localizations, shred logs, and delete temporary files. Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean 70 applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari, Adobe Reader, APT, and more.

Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 Guest_androidcupcake_*

Guest_androidcupcake_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:10 AM

@ all,

Thanks for the heads-up and suggestions.

The problem is fixed and guess what? I changed my ISP and the problem fixed. I am glad I changed my ISP to a better one!

Thanks again!

See ya around :thumbsup:

#9 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:17 PM

Although your problem is fixed, this would probably had been a simple fix. Change DNS servers to 3rd party(such as OpenDNS or Google), and do a ipconfig /flushdns.....

But glad you got it fixed either way.

#10 Guest_androidcupcake_*

Guest_androidcupcake_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:25 PM

Although your problem is fixed, this would probably had been a simple fix. Change DNS servers to 3rd party(such as OpenDNS or Google), and do a ipconfig /flushdns.....

Nope.. Wasn't simple. I'd tried flush dns, reset tcp/ip, etc and even got the ISP people to check if the signal strength was low! Nevertheless, problem's fixed.. Thanks anyway!

#11 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:27 AM

Nope.. Wasn't simple. I'd tried flush dns, reset tcp/ip, etc and even got the ISP people to check if the signal strength was low! Nevertheless, problem's fixed.. Thanks anyway!

You didn't say if you changed the DNS servers. The flush dns does nothing if you're just going to locally (re)cache the ISP's bad routing/DNS/IPs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users