Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely Slow Computer.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 vVcLuTcHVv

vVcLuTcHVv

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:16 PM

I originally posted this on the "Am I Infected?" forum, but it appears Malware isn't the issue.

Before I start, just know that I've tried everything in the "Slow Computer?" sticky in the "Am I Infected" forum.

My laptop used to be pretty fast. I've been kind of a computer geek for a while and I've been happier with this computer than any other I've had. Something happened, though, and now my computer runs EXTREMELY slowly. It was a gradual process that took place probably over the course of about 1-2 months. It started when I noticed that, when typing, my computer would occasionally skip a letter. When it first started, it was very rare, but it eventually got worse little by little.

This gradual process went from the occasional missing letter to other weird things happening, such as when I would click the wireless connection button on the bottom right of my taskbar, it wouldn't show anything, whereas it was supposed to list the wireless connections. Instead, it would occasionally open a browser. Even now as I type, I can hear tiny little error message sounds, except they're really short and really quiet and only happen when I type.

Another interesting thing was when one time I ran a scan with Malwarebytes' and SuperAntiSpyware and it found an infection, got rid of it, and since then my explorer.exe has been screwed up. When my computer starts my desktop disappears (the taskbar stays) and I can't right click on the desktop. However, if I kill the explorer process and then restart it, the desktop works fine. Also, rkill.exe used to run in around a second or less, but now it takes around 10 seconds. It still doesn't find anything, though. The volume control graphic also takes forever to change when I turn up/down the volume. It seemed at first that the slowness of my computer accommodated the original trojan I had, but it's gone now and my computer's still slow.

I normally run SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes' AntiMalware, AVG, VundoFix, and SpyBot. I've found small infections with them before, but not a single one is showing anything at the moment. I honestly have no idea what's the problem. The symptoms are almost as if it's a hardware problem considering how slow my laptop is, but the signs tell me it's a software issue. I'm completely stumped. Any help I could get would be wonderful.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:19 AM

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

#3 vVcLuTcHVv

vVcLuTcHVv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:40 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/cRKqfdXnkVoVgA3KyPKIPi4

There ya go.

#4 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:47 PM

Do you have Trusteer Rapport on board?

#5 vVcLuTcHVv

vVcLuTcHVv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:50 PM

Do you have Trusteer Rapport on board?

Can't say I've heard of it.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:54 PM

You need to free up some space as your drives are at critically low space. Can I ask why you partitioned it?

#7 vVcLuTcHVv

vVcLuTcHVv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

You need to free up some space as your drives are at critically low space. Can I ask why you partitioned it?

My laptop came partitioned like that. I have also had this little space remaining on my hard drive for a matter of months - before the problems started occurring.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:38 PM

Try running this: Temp File Cleaner and see if it helps?

#9 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:48 PM

Backup and reformat and re-install.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#10 vVcLuTcHVv

vVcLuTcHVv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

Try running this: Temp File Cleaner and see if it helps?

Tried it. :'(

Backup and reformat and re-install.

I'm at the point where I think that's the only thing left to do. I feel like my computer is irreparable unless I reformat, although I REALLLLY don't want to.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:15 PM

Try removing some programs.

#12 vVcLuTcHVv

vVcLuTcHVv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:20 PM

Try removing some programs.

Already ahead of you. I just removed around 15-20 gigs worth of space, yet it's still worse than ever.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:23 PM

Keep doing it and if you need help post screenshots of your add/remove programs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users