Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Open E-mail Attachments

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 esteron

esteron

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 04:59 PM

When i try to open an attachment I sometimes get the message: This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel.
Well that sounds all well and good but how do I do this and what program do I use? Any help is gratly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 05:14 PM

That depends on the file type of the attachment.
Is it a .jpeg, .wmv, .txt, ......?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 esteron

esteron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 05:19 PM

That depends on the file type of the attachment.
Is it a .jpeg, .wmv, .txt, ......?

Well it says madebyhands.pps but i sometimes get emails where the message is text but before I get to the actual message I got a whole lot of computerese to get through. As you probably guessed I'm not very computer literate. Thanks

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:43 PM

.pps - Microsoft PowerPoint slide show
If you have MS PowerPoint installed on your computer, that's what you would associate the file with.
Click Start
Click My Computer
Click Tools
Select Folder Options
Click the File Types tab
Scroll down to the file type you want to open (.pps)
Click on it, to highlight it
Click the Change button, which will open a new window
Then select Powerpoint from the list provided
Then put a check in the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file box
Click OK
Click Apply
Click OK

If you don't have MS PowerPoint, you'll have to download a program that will read .pps files.
The one I use, is XnView.
It's a free program.
To associate XnView (or any program you decide to use) with .pps files, do the following:
After installing the program, click Start
Click My Computer
Click Tools
Select Folder Options
Click the File Types tab
Scroll down to the file type you want to open (.pps)
Click on it, to highlight it
Click the Change button, which will open a new window
Then at the bottom, click the Browse... button
Navigate to the XnView folder, and click it, to highlight it
Click the Open button
Double click xnview.exe
Then put a check in the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file box
Click OK
Click Apply
Click OK

Edited by tg1911, 12 November 2005 - 08:26 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users