Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Playstation 2 Price Drop?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Lostfan17

Lostfan17

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 04:49 PM

when ps3 comes out or even maybe xbox360 comes out, do u think that the ps2 price will drop. i know it is already low at 150, but just wonderin will it lower out so i can save myself some money for something else like games, or accesories?
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 04:52 PM

It will definately lower... Sony's got the PS3, they don't need the PS2 anymore. They'll drop the price so that they can get them out of their warehouses as fast as possible. lol jk. But, yea, the price will drop.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 Lostfan17

Lostfan17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 04:56 PM

thanks for answering. it will probably drop to 100. but just another question. will the ps2 drop when xbox360 comes out? thanks again.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 05:19 PM

There'll probably be a slight drop, to something like 130-140.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:16 PM

There'll probably be a slight drop, to something like 130-140.

yea i agree

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#6 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 08:06 PM

i was reding in mcv that the ps2 was dropping to between 70 and 80 pounds when the 360 comes out so it will help with christmas too although most people have a ps2 already so not many people will buy any more.
If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

#7 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:27 PM

It'd probably drop.

but eh, I don't think I want to be one of the xbox360 gamers, if I get a new console, it'll be the PS3, MGS4 all the way!

#8 Lostfan17

Lostfan17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:21 PM

i just found an article at cnn.com about the ps2 drop. here it is and thanks for the comments everyone.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/10/27/commentary.../column_gaming/

#9 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 04:02 PM

It'd probably drop.

but eh, I don't think I want to be one of the xbox360 gamers, if I get a new console, it'll be the PS3, MGS4 all the way!

but xbox has halo although mgs4 does look ace most people will get both i think
If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

#10 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 05:04 PM

It'd probably drop.

but xbox has halo although mgs4 does look ace most people will get both i think

true, but I have halo too, just that its for the pc lol.

I don't know what the big deal about halo is anyway, sure it was alright but I guess I just got turned off by the title thanks to some friends who have this idea that "Halo and Halo 2 are the best things that have ever happened in this world since the wheel".

I'm sure there are those people for every game though and I'm more of a Half Life(2)/counter strike fan anyway so yea lol. My friend will probably be getting the xbox360 so I'll probably have to start hanging out with him once it comes out.

On the next gen console note, I hope that now that there is more power to be tapped and more focus on hard drives and internet, companies can stop releasing games on a yearly basis. I don't know about anybody else, but I'm not really caring too much about all the world war two games, I mean (what seems to be) most, if not, almost all the console ones. Then we have all the sports games.

#11 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:39 PM

The price of the PS2 will definitly drop when the PS3 comes out. As to whether or not it will drop when the Xbox 360 comes out, who knows? Although, personally, I don't think that Sony has anything to worry about. The current price of the PS2 is still cheaper than the Xbox 360 price. And the PS2 has a much bigger library of games than the Xbox 360 will at launch. I don't think the real bloodbath (excuse me, "console competition" :thumbsup: )will begin until the PS3 comes out.

#12 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:53 PM

i think it's a waste of time with the PS3 it should have been a PS2 Series 2 or something as it still runs CD/DVD not much you can do about that plus the only main difference is it has built in memory and of course there tweak for PS3 games which PS2 won't play to force people into new machines so in the end Sony wins.

#13 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 12:09 AM

i think it's a waste of time with the PS3 it should have been a PS2 Series 2 or something as it still runs CD/DVD not much you can do about that plus the only main difference is it has built in memory and of course there tweak for PS3 games which PS2 won't play to force people into new machines so in the end Sony wins.

Wait, is it just me or are you saying Ps3 is pointless.....?

Ps3 is Sony's next console, just as Ps2 was to Psx. The new system will have a hell-of-a-lot better games, with better physics, graphics, effects, and features. There will be virtually no slowdown, even with hundreds (or even thousands) of characters on-screen. The physics will be insane (think Half-Life 2 physics in almost any game you play.... not saying every game will be like half-life 2, but if you've play HL2, you know how awesome the physics engine is).

Have you seen the videos for MGS4 or Killzone 2? If not, i suggest you check them out. When you do, you'll realize Ps3 is not just a tweak up from ps2....

#14 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:06 AM

just a pitty PS2 users have to throw the PS2 away as we can't play PS3 games. As like PSOne couldn't play PS2. How much will PS3 be? $700.

#15 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 06:43 AM

Izzy, is what your saying something like this?

That the PS3 and PS2 should be more like computers and computer games in the regard of scalability.
For example: You could buy a PS2/PS3 game, throw it into the PS3 and play it with great graphics, sounds, physics and effects. Or if you still only got a PS2 you could put the same disc in the PS2 and play the game, only now with limited graphics, sounds, physics and effects. That they would be scalable like computer games?

That is an interesting thought. Maybe the console makers should look into it. :thumbsup:
Although it would probably make the games even more expensive. :flowers:
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users