Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP BSOD after virus update IE & Firefox Crashing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jmonkie

jmonkie

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:55 PM

A couple of days ago I was using my laptop (windows xp) and trend micro said it needed to restart the computer. Once the computer restarted I loaded Internet Explorer and noticed regardless of whatever page I view Internet Explorer keeps reseting the tab over and over and eventually crashes. Also I tried installing Firefox and that too crashes almost immediatly after running. I can get into the computer via Safe mode (but not safemode with networking) I've tried using system restore but I cannot find any restore points that work. I went into IE and reset it back to default and cleared everything. I have run antimalwarebytes and spybot but neither have found anything. Please help! I have managed to download the newest definitions from Trend Micro but I am still getting this problem. Any Ideas?

Here are the error codes I am getting on the BSOD
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xBA570000, 0x00000001, 0x804F4BBE, 0x00000000)
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.

Sometimes I am able to reboot and get this Error message from Windows:
Error Signature:
BCCode: 1000007e BCP1: C0000005 BCP2: 8A7B71E5 BCP3: BA56FB04
BCP4: BA56F800 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP:3_0 Product 256_1

The following files will be included in this error report:
C:\DOCUME~1\jeremy\LOCALS~1\TEMP\WER1dcb.dir00\Mini092110-11.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\jeremy\LOCALS~1\TEMP\WER1dcb.dir00\sysdata.xml

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:27 PM

Download BlueScreenView (in Zip file)
No installation required.
Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 jmonkie

jmonkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:15 PM

Here is the log from the BSOD. I noticed a couple of other strange things. I was trying to check on my drivers and the device managers seems to like to freeze up. Also I got an error on the screen

16 bit MS-DOS subsystem
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\PQQL\setup.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL An installable Virtual Device Driver Failed Dll initialization.

I have no symantec programs installed.

Attached Files

• Attached File  bsod.txt   45.56KB   7 downloads

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:27 PM

We have couple of possibilities here.

1. At some point maybe, you had Norton installed.
Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2

64-bit users go HERE
  • Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Vista users:: Right click on SystemLook.exe, click Run As Administrator
  • Copy the content of the following box into the main textfield:
    :filefind
    sym*
    :folderfind
    symantec
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

2. "16 bit MS-DOS subsystem" error is often associated with some kind of infection.

Let's start with #1.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 jmonkie

jmonkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:42 PM

Here is the log. It found some norton stuff. Any further ideas about what may be causing the BSOD? Also, just had the machine running for a good 25 minutes and was able to nearly complete Antimalware bytes (for the 2nd time) then the computer beeped, then a minute later beeped again then BSOD with a SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION pointing to the apsx86.sys driver again.

Attached Files

Edited by jmonkie, 23 September 2010 - 11:05 PM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:13 PM

Run Norton Removal Tool first: http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/...0080710133834EN
Restart computer.
See how it goes.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 jmonkie

jmonkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:15 AM

The computer is definatly not happy. Removed norton and seemed to last longer but still have issues. contemplating reformating. Trend micro found troj_agentt.smu and listed ntdll.log as a virus on the computer. Seems to be BSOD more even getting into safe mode.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:44 AM

Wild guess...I would uninstall the original Lenovo chipset drivers...then reinstall same from the CD which came with the system. Nothing to lose.

That troj_agentt.smu dates from over 3 years ago...if you were running updated definitions, it should have been properly neutralized, IMO.

I find nothing useful re ntdll.log as a file. I would dump the current chipset drivers...then remove your Trend Micro product and install Avira Free, update it and run a full scan. I have more confidence in Avira, just based on personal use.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users