Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU not booting after I installed a new power supply

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 st3v3yo

st3v3yo

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:57 PM

ok so these past few weeks my computer has been a bit schizophrenic. it would randomly freeze and reboot while i was on it or when I left it alone. It also recently developed an issue with its audio: unless I turned the volume down to 1 for each individual application in the volume mixer (windows 7), all I heard was static whenever sound was supposed to come out. I figured that it might be a bad power supply; its the only piece of old hardware left in my computer after my recent hardware upgrade. This suspicion was pretty much confirmed when I began to hear the telltale high pitched whine of a failing power supply coming from it. I put off replacing it, however, because I have been very busy, and the computer still functioned. Two days ago, I was trying to get some work done, and that whine was making it difficult to concentrate. I shut down my computer, but the noise didnt go away. if got much quieter and higher pitched, but it was still there. Only when I actually unplugged the computer did the sound go away. I got curious, and went to see if the sound would come back if I just plugged in the computer without turning it on. I plugged it in, and the sound did indeed come back for about a second. then, the power supply's fan started spinning really really fast and making a bunch of terrible noises. when sparks started coming out of the back of it, i unplugged it as fast as I could.

Today I got a new power supply and hooked it up, but the computer wont boot. the fans all turn on, and all my motherboards lights turned on, but I couldn't hear the disc drives or hard drives shuffle like they normally do on boot up, and I wasn't getting any video to my monitor.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I should go about troubleshooting? I really don't want to have to get a new computer......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vnsmith6

vnsmith6

• Banned Spammer
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:36 AM

I suspect because of the sparkling, one of your hardware's got a problem too.. I suggest you first check everything on it before plugging it nor opening..

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

Make sure that you have the 12 volt power connector plugged in (I always make that mistake)
See here
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:13 PM

When the PSU had its catastrophic failure it could have taken the motherboard out :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users