Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TripleDigitRide

TripleDigitRide

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:07 PM

A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart

Safe Mode won't even work.

I'm trying to find the cheapest way to replace the hard drive in an old Dell laptop. The laptop was purchased used, so we do not have any disks that may have allowed us to install the operating system onto a new hard drive.

My question is, can we possibly purchase a used hard drive that already has the operating system installed and be OK, or will we likely run into issues? Anything I may need to know before going this route?

If this is not an option, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

**Edit** The person who owns this laptop informed me that they purchased it new, but can't seem to locate any disks that may have come with the laptop.

Edited by TripleDigitRide, 23 September 2010 - 07:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:33 PM

You can clone the current hard drive contents...onto another, newer/larger drive...using the appropriate software.

Louis

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:51 PM

To the powers that be:

What are the rules of discussing obtaining/downloading Windows disks/ISOs if one has a legit key? Verboten?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 TripleDigitRide

TripleDigitRide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:59 PM

You can clone the current hard drive contents...onto another, newer/larger drive...using the appropriate software.

Louis

I'm not sure that is possible. A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:07 PM

A friend's hard drive in his laptop crashed, we bought a new drive since his was out of warranty, changed it out.
He needed to use the computer later that day for a wedding as a DJ, I took a generic windows xp home disk and installed using his numbers off the COA sticker on the bottom of the laptop. The drivers were the hardest part but we finally got all the right ones installed. We could have waited and ordered everything from the manufacturer.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:49 PM

Unless you are talking about something other than XP....there's no such thing as a legal download, IMO.

If you mean downleading one of those cracked, probably malware-ridden versions of XP...I would not suggest that to someone I hated, let alone someone I am presuming to help.

A genuine MS CD...is a different animal...then the license comes into play.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 September 2010 - 08:49 PM.

#7 vnsmith6

vnsmith6

• Banned Spammer
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:48 AM

acquire a new hard drive and replace the old ones..

#8 qtechie

qtechie

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:50 AM

I had the same exact problem and solved it by popping in my vista cd, getting to command prompt and running chkdsk. It repaired bad clusters, corrected errors, then rebooted and my computer ran fine.

#9 TripleDigitRide

TripleDigitRide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:07 PM

So, basically, the only option they have is to buy a new hard drive and install a new copy of whatever operating system they choose?

I don't think they have any of the disks that may have come with the laptop when new. And as I mentioned before, safe mode (F8) does not work.

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:31 PM

So, basically, the only option they have is to buy a new hard drive and install a new copy of whatever operating system they choose?

I don't think they have any of the disks that may have come with the laptop when new. And as I mentioned before, safe mode (F8) does not work.

hi ,usually there is a sticker on the bottom of laptops with the windows version and key on it ,if it there then all you need is a new harddrive and a windows cd ,[borrowed from a friend is ok ,must be same version]same version as whats on the sticker

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#11 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:44 PM

A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart

I'm trying to find the cheapest way to replace the hard drive in an old Dell laptop. The laptop was purchased used, so we do not have any disks that may have allowed us to install the operating system onto a new hard drive.

My question is, can we possibly purchase a used hard drive that already has the operating system installed and be OK, or will we likely run into issues? Anything I may need to know before going this route?

If this is not an option, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

**Edit** The person who owns this laptop informed me that they purchased it new, but can't seem to locate any disks that may have come with the laptop.

Just use acronis true image and image current hard drive and recover to new har drive simples.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users