Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KillAPP-w boot sector virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vipjag234

vipjag234

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:06 PM

I am trying to fix a friend's computer (for free). I ran Avast! antivirus and it detected KillAPP-W in the boot sector. I tried to repair it with Avast! but it could not nor could it"move to chest". On the next scan it was not detected at all. He has an HP pavilion dv 9208nr laptop running Vista Home Premium he purchased in 2006 . The virus prevents the computer from connecting to the internet. I downloaded the apps from this sites Virus removal guide and burned them to CD. My question is if I run the apps on his infected laptop and burn the log results to CD and put the CD in my computer will the KillAPP-W virus transfer to my computer and infect it too? Thanks

Edited by Orange Blossom, 23 September 2010 - 07:44 PM.
Move to AII for initial assistance. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,199 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:33 PM

Hello,this may not a virus at all. It appears to be just what is known as a PUP/ (potentially unwanted program). If you look thru this post at AVast you will se it is related to HP and only even detected if you have included the option to scan for PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) and possibly didn't know the impact of that choice. This executable is designed to kill processes so it can be used for good or evil and that intent/purpose isn't something an AV can really decide.

Check the files Location: C:\HP\Bin Name: EndProcess.exe Avast 5.0 Pro picks it up as Virus: Win32:KillApp-W[PUP]

Avast topic
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=604...09916#msg509916
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 vipjag234

vipjag234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for the info. It saved me a lot of time and expense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users