Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer won't turn on/recent redirect virus & rogue antivirus malware

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 kaht

kaht

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:41 PM

Hello, and thanks in advance for any help.

I own a Gateway MX6453 running Windows XP. About 2 weeks ago while browsing the Internet, my computer began installing and running what I now know is a "Rogue Antivirus" program. The one on my computer was "AntiVirus 2010." I spent hours scouring forums about this thing, downloading at least 3 different anti-virus and anti-malware programs that were suggested on this and other websites: CCleaner, Malwarebytes anti-malware, and IObit. Only IObit seemed to find anything. After running IObit, the "Antivirus 2010" seemed to be gone, but the redirect virus was still there. I could go to websites without a problem, with the exception of Google, Yahoo, and Bing. Google, oddly, wasn't even Google--it was as though it directed me to a website that looked almost like Google, but it wasn't. Eventually I just couldn't even go to Google or Gmail. As for Yahoo, I could click on their story links or what have you, but if I did a search and clicked on a search result, I would be re-directed to some odd commercial website or the like. Same thing with Bing.

Today I turned my computer on and it was running for about 3 minutes before it just shut off. When I tried to turn it on again, the power light went on for about 2-3 seconds, then just turned off. No beeping or screen activity at all. It's still like that. Tried turning it on without the battery and with the battery without the adaptor, same thing. A lot of what I've read so far seems to be pointing to the motherboard. Having never replaced a motherboard or built my own computer or the like, I really don't know...

So I guess my questions are: Are these two problems possibly related? If I have a hardware problem, what do you think it might be? And, finally, if I do manage to repair my computer, how should I go about dealing with this virus (assuming it's still going to be there)?

Sorry for such a long post. Thanks for reading and any help! I appreciate your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users