Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

4th Generation 20 GB IPOD classics will not restore?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 seandil

seandil

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:11 PM

Hi all,

I keep getting this error message 1437, which I could not find a description of on the apple support page. I bought an old IPOD off eBay that came with a dock and the name on it matches who I bought it from. Its not stolen and just needed a new battery which I installed and it charges fine.

I installed iTunes 10 and am trying to sync the IPOD classic with my computer. It won't ,and gives this error repeatedly, 1437. I began by doing what Apple support calls 'the five R's', they did not help. So I keep following their directions. So far, I have uninstalled and re-installed iTunes, plugged in the ipod over and over, and reset the IPOD using the toggle on the IPOD and pressing the two buttons simultaneously several times. I went into my device manager and stopped and started the service several times. I even put the ten lines of script back in that was suggested on the ipod support page under 'errors 1415 1417,1418,1428,1429, 1436,1438,1439'...etc message (notice 1437 is NOT one of the error mentioned here, but showed up in the fix suggestion?).
What else can I do? Where are the drivers for apple IPOD? I have another IPOD I tried to restore that belonged to a relative and after I did the restore it only shows a picture of a plug and an electrical outlet on the screen? The screen went bad so I replaced it with a part off eBay. I plugged it in to an outlet and the picture will not go away after several days? I reset it again and it did briefly show a picture of a battery and exclamation point inside a triangle?

Can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:33 AM

The hard drives are most likely shot in both. They throw up some odd errors when their hard drives go bad. Put your ear up to the one and see if you can hear the hard drive sinning if you here a rushing sound then that is good but if you hear a slight steady clicking then the hard drive is long gone. The one that shows the plug pic has a bad battery and also a bad hard drive as well.

Edited by computerxpds, 25 September 2010 - 10:33 AM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 seandil

seandil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:48 PM

Thanks sir for the advice,
They both make a clicking sound to me, but I have never heard a good IPOD so I am unsure. The plug I borrowed worked and reset the one with the plug and outlet picture. It tried to sync, but keeps giving an error that is can not find a file or that the file is missing? I ordered a new hard drive and will try it along with the new battery in both to see what works. Hopefully one will, so I can fix both and maybe sale one to get back some of my money?

I will let you know

#4 seandil

seandil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:07 PM

Hi ComputerXPS,
I put a new hard drive in the IPOD I bought off eBay. My computer will not see it in 'My Computer'. Itunes will not see it. Its in a continuous 'Do not disconnect' mode. I got it into disk mode, but like I said 'my Computer' would not see it to reformat it. When unplugged it now shows a picture of the hard drive with an apple support web address and a triangle with exclamation point?. It comes on clicks, shows the message then quits and shows the apple picture like I just reset it or something. Well after mush work plugging and unplugging and placing in the firewire cable with the plug on the end, it started to work?

OK, I am a novice and learning. This is what I have found out the hard way. When iTunes 10 opens for my ancient IPOD clickwheel 20 GB, there are some choices at the bottom. I alway checked an option that said "Only load songs that are checked". I then clicked on the 'Music' tab at the top of the page and it gives two options. Since I had so much music I loaded, I chose for it to 'only load certain songs, artist, and albums'. Next I checked artists and then certain albums. Well nothing would load and I got allot of errors.
This appears to be because on the front or main IPOD page of iTunes, I had checked 'only load checked songs' as I previously stated. I NEVER checked individual songs, but artists or albums. Once I unchecked this option on the first or front page of IPOD sync, it loaded everything except stuff it said 'cannot be found'.
Now my question is why did it not load certain songs from certain albums or artists? It would load one song from an album rather than all of them? Do I need to go through my library and click on 'Add to Library" for every single song, rather than doing it by artist? I mean the music plays on my computer using iTunes 10, so the software must know where all the music is located, but will not load onto my IPOD? My stuff is mP3's downloaded form torrents I share.
I am just wonder if iTunes needs to be specifically told to "add to library" each song rather than me just adding the artist or folder? I usually download an artists every album, so its all in one folder and then tell iTunes to 'Add Folder'.
Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Seandil

Edited by seandil, 01 October 2010 - 02:37 PM.

#5 seandil

seandil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:26 PM

Hi all,
I need now to correct what I put in a previous post. I fixed my problem by getting another USB cable from a relative. This cable has a removable plug on the end and has the name GRIFFIN on it. The GRIFFIN cable with the removable plug on the end of it, IS for SURE a USB connection, not Firewire. Someone advised me to get an old Firewire cable with a wall outlet plug adapter on the end of it to reset my IPODs with. You see I was unsure what Firewire was. I spoke to a relative today and my laptop does not have a Firewire port. My whole problem was that the cables I bought for the IPOD off eBay, they simply do not work for syncing these IPODs with my iTunes software. These Ebay bought cables only work while using to charge either IPOD I mentioned in earlier posts. Sometimes they try to sync with my computer using the USB cable to IPOD connection, sometimes not, and always with errors. I was able to reset my brother's IPOD, but the IPOD I purchased from eBay would never go beyond giving me errors using the USB cable aforementioned. Once the picture of the 'plug' showed up on my brother's IPOD, nothing else happened using any of MY cables, and that's when your reply to my post began the solution process.
When I started having all these problems, my brother said he had an old IPOD and I could have it. He gave me only the IPOD and said he would look for accessories. I told him I bought some cables off eBay that were listed as working with both his model and the IPOD I purchased listed 'as for parts' and may "only need a battery" from eBay. I got a car charger, electrical outlet to IPOD, and a USB to IPOD cable together for $7.00, including shipping, from Hong Kong off eBay.
After you responded to my post, I told my brother that I needed a Firewire cable. He said he would look to see what he had that came with his IPOD or what he had bought for it, that he knew worked for him in the past. That's when I got the cable from him with the plug adapter on the end, that I wrongly "Assumed" was the Firewire cable you mentioned for resetting both our IPOD models. Both of our IPODs are for sure, clickwheel 4th GEN 20GB monochromes. My brother's IPOD had a screen that was broken. I got a screen parted out off eBay and fixed his IPOD screen issue. Even though the screen worked, the IPOD would not sync on account of the cables I had bought off eBay, but finally his IPOD did reset using the USB cable, and showed that 'plug outlet' picture I mentioned in another post.
Now once I plugged in the cable he gave me, which has the word 'GRIFFIN' written on it, (not one of my eBay cables) his finished the reset process. When I removed the plug adapter from it and plugged the GRIFFIN cable into my USB port, not only did his sync without any errors; but so did the IPOD I bought off eBay. I put a new battery in the one I had purchased.
Now after all the trouble I was having trying to sync the eBay IPOD using MY cables, along with the noise the hard drive in it was making, I also put in a new 20GB hard drive I bought off eBay. I now have two working, syncing, and charging 4th Gen IPODS, each with 20GB hard drives.
My problem now is with the APPLE iTunes 10 software. I checked and did see some exclamation marks by some of my songs listed in iTunes. Next, I added the folder again to iTunes, and deleted the files with the exclamation points. It worked for some of the songs. I added them to the IPODs by re-syncing the IPODs. No problems. iTunes just will not see some of my folders with mp3 files in them along with some artwork. I will try a manual organization next after I read some more about it or try renaming the folders perhaps? I did this once and the folders loaded as 'UNKOWN Album' in iTunes. I will look into your advice of loading individual tracks.
Lastly, I want to sell the IPOD I fixed, and bought off eBay. I do not need two IPODs now. However, whomever buys the IPOD will have the same trouble as me, unless I include cables that work for both syncing, and resetting the IPOD. The IPOD I bought of eBay, only came with the dock and IPOD, no cables.
Now I think my best bet would be to buy a GRIFFIN USB cable with the plug adapter, and include it in the purchase in my listing on eBay. I think I should keep dock that was included with my purchase and the dock to IPOD cable I bought from eBay, and use them for charging the IPOD. This cable has a permanent electrial outlet plug on one end of it. I could then use my brother's GRIFFIN cable as my USB cable to sync the IPOD, and install the plug, only if I need to reset the IPOD again.
This way whomever buys it from me will get a GRIFFIN cable (which I will now purchase) that will sync to their computer, and plug into a wall outlet for resetting the IPOD or re-charging the IPOD. I will keep the car charger for me as well. The only cable that would go to waste would be the USB cable from ebay that will only charge my IPOD's, but gave me so much trouble when trying to sync both IPODs with my computer. If I included this USB cable with the purchase, the buyer may try to sync the IPOD with it, and they would go through what I just did? I could just have it as an extra charger, which it will do through my computer's USB port.
Now after explaining all this and writing you a book here to read, does this seem like my proper course of action if I want to recover some or most of my money? Right now I have spent around $72.00, and it would cost another $13.00 for the GRIFFIN USB and plug cable I mentioned? I think maybe I could get $85.00 if I include enough stuff. I could honestly list the IPOD I bought from eBay back on eBay as a seller refurbished IPOD in good working order with new hard drive and battery, not to mention the GRIFFIN cable and plug which would be included? That way a potential buyer will be able to do everything needed with what I give them including syncing, resetting, and re-charging without any trouble. They would just plug it into their USB port and use iTunes and they should not have any of the trouble I did with the hardware. They will just have to figure out iTunes as I am in the process of?

How does all this sound to you. Am I finally straight, except maybe having the iTunes issue left?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users