Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ccSvcHst.exe (System) is running 100% of CPU

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jsaklas

jsaklas

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:00 PM

I'm running XP and I have Norton Systemworks (Anti virus, etc.)

Randomly ccSvcHst.exe runs 100% of the CPU, obviously bogging everything down. I know this is a problem associated with Norton.

In another posting of this problem Michael York from Norton said to disable Windows Firewall and Windows Defender and then make sure Norton is updated and then run a system-wide virus check.

I did everything EXCEPT for disabling Windows Defender because I can't find it. When I click on Start, there is no Windows Defender.

Where is it? or perhaps I never had it?????

js

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:02 PM

Mr. York was referring to a known issue between Symantec products and Windows Defender. He was not attempting to define all possibilities of situations where problems arise.

Windows Defender is not natively installed on XP...if you did not install it, it won't be there.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 September 2010 - 05:00 PM.
Added "not" :).

#3 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:32 PM

Hi js,

This is Michael York from Norton Support.

Louis is correct in terms of Windows Defnder possibly not being installed with XP.

Please let me know what service pack you have with XP as well as the version of Norton System Works and Norton AntiVirus.

I would also suggest that you make sure that you do not have any other third-party, real-time security software installed, as they can definitly cause conflicts with Norton AV. Please reply back with the info and I will do my best to help you out.

Thanks,
Mike

I'm running XP and I have Norton Systemworks (Anti virus, etc.)

Randomly ccSvcHst.exe runs 100% of the CPU, obviously bogging everything down. I know this is a problem associated with Norton.

In another posting of this problem Michael York from Norton said to disable Windows Firewall and Windows Defender and then make sure Norton is updated and then run a system-wide virus check.

I did everything EXCEPT for disabling Windows Defender because I can't find it. When I click on Start, there is no Windows Defender.

Where is it? or perhaps I never had it?????

js

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#4 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

Michael,

Thank you for joining in. The CPU problem is still there, but if appears to occur less often once I disabled the Windows Firewall. (I say "appears" because I don't have real data, maybe it's wishful thinking.

As to your questions:

I am running XP Home, Version 2002, SP3 and I do install updates as prompted by the anti-Christ (Bill Gate's Microsoft).

I have Norton System Works 2009, Version 12.0.1, Build 1, and it is updated automatically. The installed applications are Norton Utilities and Norton Cleanup.

With System Works, I have Norton Anti-Virus, Version 16.8.0.41.

Lastly, I believe (but are not 100% certain) that the only other anti-something I have is Malwarebytes' Anti Malware, v. 1.46, HOWEVER, I believe that this does not run in the background, but only when I manually call it up to update it and to run a scan.

The ccSvcHst.exe for the user is never the problem, it is the ccSvcHst.exe for the SYSTEM that takes 100% of the CPU.

This problem is annoying to say the least. Most people on-line say, "Dump Symantec/Norton and use other anti-virus software." I am relatively happy with what I have, but if this problem continues, I will let my subscription expire, remove the software and use another product.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

#5 Michael York

Michael York

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:38 PM

Hi js,

Thanks for posting the requested information. If you can please look at the CD or CD's and let me know the following: Do you have multiple CD's - one labled "Norton AntiVirus" and another labled "Norton SystemWorks" or is it just one CD? Also, do you have the "Premium" version, "Basic" version or one that is just labled "Norton System Works"? Sorry about getting so granular but Norton System Works had various incarnations and having this information may be handy if we can not get your issue resolved by uninstalling and reinstalling.

While I await your response I will tell you that the issue with the "ccSVChst.exe" process taking up 100 % of your CPU can be caused by some aspect of the product getting corrupted or possibly a problem with Windows itself.

The first steps I would reccomend to you is to properly uninstall all of Norton System Works and to then install just Norton AntiVirus to see if the CPU spikes stop. Please carefully follow these instructions to properly remove the software.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool

Norton Removal Tool

2. Run the tool and then restart your computer. Run the tool a second time and then restart your computer after it has finished running a second time.

3. If you have a seperate installation CD for Norton AntiVirus, insert the CD and run the installer. If you do not have a seperate CD, run the Norton SystemWorks CD and choose "customize" and then just check Norton AntiVirus.

4. After the installation is complete, launch Norton AntiVirus and manually run LiveUpdate.

5. Complete a "Full System Scan" and let me know if any threats were found.

Let me know the outcome and check Task Manager to see if the ccSVChst process is still consuming 100 % of your CPU.

Thanks,
Mike

Michael,

Thank you for joining in. The CPU problem is still there, but if appears to occur less often once I disabled the Windows Firewall. (I say "appears" because I don't have real data, maybe it's wishful thinking.

As to your questions:

I am running XP Home, Version 2002, SP3 and I do install updates as prompted by the anti-Christ (Bill Gate's Microsoft).

I have Norton System Works 2009, Version 12.0.1, Build 1, and it is updated automatically. The installed applications are Norton Utilities and Norton Cleanup.

With System Works, I have Norton Anti-Virus, Version 16.8.0.41.

Lastly, I believe (but are not 100% certain) that the only other anti-something I have is Malwarebytes' Anti Malware, v. 1.46, HOWEVER, I believe that this does not run in the background, but only when I manually call it up to update it and to run a scan.

The ccSvcHst.exe for the user is never the problem, it is the ccSvcHst.exe for the SYSTEM that takes 100% of the CPU.

This problem is annoying to say the least. Most people on-line say, "Dump Symantec/Norton and use other anti-virus software." I am relatively happy with what I have, but if this problem continues, I will let my subscription expire, remove the software and use another product.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Michael York
Symantec Corporation

#6 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:44 AM

Mike,

I am replying from my office via the web so I am not at home to check, BUT......... to the best of my knowledge, I do not have any recent Symantec CDs.

I have been annually resubscribing from the first Norton SystemWorks I loaded onto a previous computer some 5 or 6 years ago. I believe I have the 2004 or 2005 CDs. However, a couple of years ago my system crashed and I needed to reload Windows XP. At that time I called Norton and I believe (as I try to remember - and you need to remember that I'm 63 years old so I don't remember everything) that one of two things occurred:

1. Norton Help took control of my computer and loaded the version I now have, OR
2. Norton allowed me to download an executable start up file that I executed to load SystemWorks and Anti-Virus.

Therefore I can not answer your questions about what CD I have. Is there no way from the software that I can get the answers to your questions?

Also, I think it is unacceptable that we users of Norton products need to unload and reload to attempt to get rid of this problem. As I scour the various computer help web sites I see that this is a common recommendation from Symantec. I do not understand why Symantec, in these many years that this problem has existed, has not be able to send us an update that solves this problem.

I first got acquainted with Norton over 20 years ago when I loaded the old DOS Norton Commander file management software. This great program was so good I still have it on my machine and I still use it! (For readers familiar with it, a Windows program similar to Commander is Gyula's Navigator.) Based on how good Commander was, I went with Norton Anti-virus, however, the Anti-virus program is a bit disappointing.

Regardless, since I don't have the up-to-date CDs, I will only be able to load Anti-Virus if I have the startup file on my hard drive. Also you do not discuss SystemWorks - am I supposed to abandon it and only try to "fix" Anti-Virus?

js

#7 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:29 PM

Oh the Norton Computing days. Peter and his crew really did churn out some excelently streamlined bulletproof code back then. If only symantec could hava carried on that legacy... Oh well, it's the way of things these days. Windows API is a huge cumbersome meandering oaf really, it's not exactly easy to make efficient code under it.

With all the different processors out there with different bottlenecks, it's difficult to optimize code for each one, even though the compilers are supposed to, you still find instances where bottlenecks occur in data pipelining, etc.

The programming world was a smaller, simpler, place back in the 1980s. I miss those days.

Edited by Gabrial, 29 September 2010 - 01:33 PM.

#8 Michael York

Michael York

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:58 PM

js,

Since you have been in contact with our support team when you had to reload Windows and Norton System Works, the easiest way to get the issue you are having resolved would be to contact out support team again. They can then remote-in to your computer, check the specific charecterisitics of your computer and software and assist you in resolving the issue.

The first step in resolving issues with almost all software for Windows is to uninstall and then reinstall the product. This procedure ensures that there are no corrupted files installed so that Norton System Works operates properly and protects you against threats.

You can contact our support department via the link below. You have thje option of contacting a support representative via chat, email or phone.

Contact Norton Support

Thanks you,
Mike

Mike,

I am replying from my office via the web so I am not at home to check, BUT......... to the best of my knowledge, I do not have any recent Symantec CDs.

I have been annually resubscribing from the first Norton SystemWorks I loaded onto a previous computer some 5 or 6 years ago. I believe I have the 2004 or 2005 CDs. However, a couple of years ago my system crashed and I needed to reload Windows XP. At that time I called Norton and I believe (as I try to remember - and you need to remember that I'm 63 years old so I don't remember everything) that one of two things occurred:

1. Norton Help took control of my computer and loaded the version I now have, OR
2. Norton allowed me to download an executable start up file that I executed to load SystemWorks and Anti-Virus.

Therefore I can not answer your questions about what CD I have. Is there no way from the software that I can get the answers to your questions?

Also, I think it is unacceptable that we users of Norton products need to unload and reload to attempt to get rid of this problem. As I scour the various computer help web sites I see that this is a common recommendation from Symantec. I do not understand why Symantec, in these many years that this problem has existed, has not be able to send us an update that solves this problem.

I first got acquainted with Norton over 20 years ago when I loaded the old DOS Norton Commander file management software. This great program was so good I still have it on my machine and I still use it! (For readers familiar with it, a Windows program similar to Commander is Gyula's Navigator.) Based on how good Commander was, I went with Norton Anti-virus, however, the Anti-virus program is a bit disappointing.

Regardless, since I don't have the up-to-date CDs, I will only be able to load Anti-Virus if I have the startup file on my hard drive. Also you do not discuss SystemWorks - am I supposed to abandon it and only try to "fix" Anti-Virus?

js

Michael York
Symantec Corporation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users