Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

suspicious.mystic + vista white screen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 aezie

aezie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:05 PM

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the wrong forum so please forgive me.... and HELP...!

I have a vaio laptop running Vista. The other day I was cruising megavideo with Mozilla and I got a bunch of "Norton has blocked an attempt to attack your computer" notifications from my antivirus as well as some windows notifications asking me if it was okay to run a bunch of programs with gibberish names.

After running a bunch of scans, finding 3 trojans, 4 downloaders, and a bunch of shifty-looking .exe programs with similar names (chd, csh, etc) in my temp file, I got rid of them all and thought that did the trick. Except in my Norton history it kept saying I was allowing "GoldSoft" to access my network resources... which I did not.

I rebooted (worst idea ever) and after logging on my screen was white for about 30 seconds, but then everything was normal. I contemplated backing up the files I want/need off the laptop for a minute or two when Norton popped up to tell me that it stopped an attack from "suspicious.mystic". Tried to delete all associated files again and rebooted again out of pure frustration. The screen is white after logging in again, but it doesn't go away this time.

So I google this and find this website: http://www.squiggo.com/ hoping to God it helps even if I don't know how trustworthy it is.
I tried doing all the steps, got to the part where I need to replace explorer.exe with a copy on my USB by going Task Manager -> Applications -> New Task-> Browse. It won't let me press the "Browse" button to go and find it. I tried typing in the name of the file and then just pressing okay. Says it can't find it. I'm at the end of my rope honestly.

Thanks for reading and please help, I'm about to tear out all my hair.

Edited by Budapest, 23 September 2010 - 04:28 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:40 PM

Hi, aezie smile.gif

welcome.gif

In the Task Manager -> Applications, while holding down the CTRL key, click on New Task. That will bring the MSDOS window. At the prompt type the following and press Enter:

Dir /a C:\Explorer.exe /s

That command should list all copies of Explorer.exe in the computer. Is there a copy in the C:\Windows folder? If not, try to copy one from another locations into the C:\Windows folder.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#3 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:55 AM

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users