Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD writer driver update problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Huggie Smiles

Huggie Smiles

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:00 AM

Hello,

I have a dell computer, running XP media centre, SP2.

6 months ago i put in a new DVD / CD burner - and it has worked superbly.

Currently, it does not read/burn any type of disc.

System info states: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

I cannot find the driver (and/or dont know how) from the HP site.

The dvd drive itself - on the front panel - states it is a HP dvd1140 {there is no letter on the front}

the info in system info states: ide\cdromhp_dvd_writer_1140_r

according to HP website there is no dvd writer with those letters.

any hep finding the correct driver and how to install it would be useful.

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:19 AM

This is what is know as a "plug and play" device. These usually will use drivers that are native to the operating system. This drive could have been corrupted. Uninstall it, restarting the computer will reinstall the driver.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager.

Scroll down to DVD/CD-ROM drives and click on the + to expand the tree.

Double click on your drive, a tabbed page will open. Click on the tab titled Driver, then click on Uninstall and then restart your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Huggie Smiles

Huggie Smiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

i followed exactly, unfortunately it still comes up with the same error.

i tried a couple of times to be sure. Its the same error message regarding the driver that pops up.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:50 PM

Let's try this from a different direction.

Try doing a System Restore. Choose a date which is prior to this problem. The dates that are darker in color are the dates you can choose from.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:12 PM

Hello what I am about to post is an actual copy and paste from the Microsoft knowledge base.

Some parts may refer to an OS your not presently using, however the upper and lower filters are the same in the Windows registry of Operating systems from Windows XP and up to Windows 7.

(UPPER AND LOWER FILTERS ERRORS)

This problem may occur if one of the following scenarios is true:

∑ The filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack are not migrated successfully to Windows.

∑ You uninstalled CD software that fails to properly remove itself in the registry.

∑ You installed software that adds filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack that interfere with existing filters.

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:

1. (In Windows Vista and Windows 7) Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
(In Windows 95, 98, ME or XP. Click Start, then RUN and type regedit into this field box.)

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.

3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.

4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.

5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.

7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

For more information, follow the below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

These filters can cause a CODE 39 error to pop up.

Also Error codes from Windows are listed at this Microsoft web site.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123 Please ignore the reference to an operating system that you may not be using, as the errors codes apply to Windows XP and up.

Here is a copy and paste of ERROR CODE 39

Code 39
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
Cause

There are several causes of Code 39 errors:
A required device driver is missing.
A required binary file is corrupted.
There is a problem with the file I/O process.
A driver that is referencing an entry point in another binary file is unable to load.
Recommended resolution

Reinstall the drivers for this device.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendorís Web site.
On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall. Follow the instructions.
Restart your computer.
Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.

If this does resolve your problem, try disconnecting the data cable from the device and plugging it back in again, sometimes this helps resolve a problem with a faulty connection.

Make sure device is recognized by the computers BIOS setup utility.

Hopefully this will help.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 23 September 2010 - 01:15 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:40 PM

Bruce,

If the system restore wasn't affective, then I would suggest removing the upper and lower filters. But this type of problem is usually related to drivers, uninstalling drivers improperly can cause this problem and a system restore can repair this. So..., let see what happens with the system restore, and then move on from there is it doesn't resolve the problem.

Thanks for your cooperation. :thumbsup:

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:59 PM

Bruce,

If the system restore wasn't affective, then I would suggest removing the upper and lower filters. But this type of problem is usually related to drivers, uninstalling drivers improperly can cause this problem and a system restore can repair this. So..., let see what happens with the system restore, and then move on from there is it doesn't resolve the problem.

Thanks for your cooperation. :thumbsup:

Your point is well taken and I respect that in you and agree with you.

I agree think your suggestion should be followed first. If in the event it does not resolve the issue, the suggestion I offered may helpful.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 Huggie Smiles

Huggie Smiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:08 PM

me being a basic user to say the least, i was more comfortable following the registry edits (as i could find the exact ones named).

Altering the reg edits exactly as you posted worked. it doesn't come up with an error at start up and the cd/dvd plays, and burns both cd's and dvds once more.

thank you very much for all your advice.

The only thing i havent yet done is restart the machine a second time! Are the registry filters likely to get messed up on an onging basis?

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:47 PM

thank you very much for all your advice.

The only thing i havent yet done is restart the machine a second time! Are the registry filters likely to get messed up on an onging basis?

You're welcomed for the advice.

It is not likely to happen again under the current conditions.

So you should be fine.

The errors often happen when a disk burning software is installed and then is un-installed in favor of another disk burning software.

When disk burning software is installed, it creates registry keys that are related to the hardware that does the burning. Sometimes these programs do not always remove all the registry keys they created during the software installation process.

I want to warn you not to ever attempt to use a registry cleaner or registry optimizer program. These can cause more problems than they are worth.

There are many arguments over this warning, because some computer users swear by them. Others end up having issues that they do not relate to that the registry cleaner was the actual cause of the error in the first place.

It is in my personal opinion that you back up the registry first and make manual alterations to registry keys you have full instructions on how to edit or remove the key and why it is recommended in the first place.

Registry cleaners would not have corrected this particular error in the first place.

Bruce.

#10 Huggie Smiles

Huggie Smiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

Appreciate all the advise here on bleeping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users