I'm a new boy to the forum but would be grateful for your help on a problem that has suddenly developed on my son's machine. I have some knowledge but not a lot (what's that they say about a little knowledge being a dangerous thing..)
Anyway the problem is as follows:
- The system was bought from novatech in the UK about 4 years ago. It is 2000+ AMD processor on a K7SA5 motherboard running XP home.
- All was fine at lunchtime.
- When switching on this evening, the fans (graphics, CU, case, PSU) start, the power LED, HDD LED and CD LED all come on (and stay on) but nothing else happens. Normally there would be one beep and the system would start. Now no beep, nothing.
- The power switch and Reset buttons now do nothing - need to switch off at the wall.
- I've check some of the power leads and they seem to be sending out 12V and 5V OK.
Could it be the PSU?
The Power Switch?
Any thing else?
Any pointers gratefully received.
I'm not keen to change the MB unless I have to as the PSU is only 300W and any newer stuff is likely to need that upgrading too - I might end up with the costs of nearly a whole new machine.