Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

INFORMATION BAR MISSING ON IE

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 QUOMAN000

QUOMAN000

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:22 AM

Sometime last week, I noticed that my Favourites were no longer accessible, even though the yellow star is there. Also, I cannot download any updates due to the fact the ACTIVE X bar is missing, along with Tools, File, etc which used to sit on top. I cannot access the Advanced option as I cannot enter Tools from the top. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:04 AM

With IE open...go View/Toolbars. Tell us what is checked.

There is also a quirk in IE that makes your upper panel disappear if you hit the F11 key accidentally. To bring everything back, hit the F11 key again in IE.

If you get any error messages...please post the exact wording of same.

Louis

#3 QUOMAN000

QUOMAN000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:13 AM

My upper panel has also disappeared, have tried f11 with no luck. So am unable to get view/tools etc that normally appear at the top. Thanks again.

#4 QUOMAN000

QUOMAN000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:14 AM

Sorry but forgot to add, but I can't download anything either as my "active X" bar has disappeared - help!!!!!!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:21 AM

I would assume that IE is damaged and just do a repair install of whatever version you have. Actually, I would suggest installing IE 8, if you don't have it already installed.

Louis

#6 QUOMAN000

QUOMAN000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:47 AM

I would, but it won't download because I can't click on the active x panel that appears near the top of the screen!! Catch 22.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

Another system...can be used to download SP3 (which reflects IE 7), then burn it to CD or use a USB device to move it to your system...and install from the desktop.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/conf...;displaylang=en

Once that is done, order should be restored and all updates should be available.

Louis

#8 QUOMAN000

QUOMAN000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:12 AM

Hi Louis, I have tried this but it won't allow me to download as it comes up with an error message - a quick look at it and a forum said there is a virus which is stopping the update downloading. All other options involve me going into IE, then Tools - but I can't even get that far as I cannot get the internet properties up from any where. Whenever I right click on it all I get is General/Shortcut and Compatability!!!!!
All this has come from when Hotmail changed their system for emails, I have got all sorts of rubbish on my computer - have now removed that but am stuck. Thanks very much for your help.

#9 Clifford Tan

Clifford Tan

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:13 AM

Hey Quoman000,

Try this from Microsoft website, I take no credit in this. :-)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962963

In case you can't browse the above website, here are the steps.

Option #1
------------
Run Microsoft automated troubleshooter - Fix It
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9646673

Option #2
-----------
1. Close all open Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer windows.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
4. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar
5. Use one or both of the following steps, as appropriate for your situation:
-- For Windows Explorer: In the details pane, locate the Explorer subkey, and then open it. In the details pane, locate the ITBarLayout value. Right-click this value, and then click Delete.
--For Internet Explorer: In the details pane, locate the WebBrowser subkey, and then open it. In the details pane, locate the ITBarLayout value. Right-click this value, and then click Delete.
6. On the File menu, click Exit to exit Registry Editor.

Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you are finished with this article. If the problem is not fixed, you can try the following:

1. Close all open Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer windows.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
4. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\ShellBrowser
5. In the details pane, locate the ITBarLayout value. Right-click this value, and then click Delete.
6. On the File menu, click Exit to exit Registry Editor.
Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you are finished with this article. If the problem is not fixed, you can contact support.

Hope this helps.

Clifford
The IT Guy
www.pcoptimizationsecrets.com

Edited by Clifford Tan, 29 September 2010 - 05:16 AM.

~ Clifford The IT Guy ~
PC Optimization Secrets

#10 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:19 PM

Just a note, you can also get to the Internet Explorer "Tools -> Options" dialog by using the Control Panel and double clicking on Internet Options.

#11 QUOMAN000

QUOMAN000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:25 AM

Hi Gabrial - I have tried the regedit, but when I come to the details pane in Explorer/Toolbar and Shellbrowser, they all have the following: default REG_SZ and under DATA, (value not set). Also, I did try to open the Internet Options from control panel, but it won't open up!! It flashes briefly then is shut down - something is determined to stay hidden. Thanks a lot.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:27 AM

As per your post here this machine is infected with an incurable malware.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1955452
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users