Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot find correct drivers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Karlie

Karlie

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:08 AM

I have an old HP computer running XP, sp3.

Had HP 1210 PSC that finally died. Am trying to install HP Deskjet f4180 that I bought several years ago and had stored away.
For the life of me, I cannot get this thing to work. It will not scan, I cannot open Solution Center or HP Director. I get messages such as device not found. It will not recognize my camera either.

Since I am a novice, I have tried to figure out what is wrong and have discovered that I am missing drivers. I uninstalled the PSC from Add/remove and tried to install the current version from HP. Still the same problems. Perhaps I did not choose the correct procedure. Terminology in the computer word is foreign to me.

Since I don't really know what I am doing, I am getting more confused.

HP has installed tons of stuff on my computer and I know some of it should go but I'm also afraid that I'll delete something important.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong or exactly what driver(S) I should be installing?

Any help would be appreciated. I find the HP site intimidating..must be my old age!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:38 AM

Hi Karile,

Let's make things simple:

1. Make sure you do not have any HP Printer related driver/software installed on your computer.

2. Click here to download the necessary software and drivers for the HP F4180.

3. On the HP download page you now see, you only need to consider categories 2 & 5, one for the drivers/software and the other to diagnose problems, if any.

So essentially you need to download this.

4. Once the download is complete, be sure to install the software and drivers as per the instructions provided.

5. Connect the F4180 to your computer and wait for it to detect the same.

6. If you are still having trouble, do consider the diagnostic software from category 5.

By the end of this, you should be printing away! :thumbsup:

Let us know if you have any questions.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 Karlie

Karlie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:10 AM

I removed the HP deskjet f4180 by way of Add/Remove and am not sure if I should remove the following. Are they part of the HP computer or as a result of this (4180)or the prior PSC 1210.

HP Memories Disc
HP Photo & Imaging 2.0 A;ll-in-one
HP Photo & Imaging 2.0 all -in-one drivers
HP Photosmart Essential 2.01
HP Smart Web Printing.

Thank you for helping me.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

Karlie

All programs you listed can be uninstalled as well. Uninstall them through add/remove and reboot. Even if not prompted to do so.
Disconnect your USB cable from the back of the printer or computer (whichever is easier)
Install the drivers from the link ReviverSoft provided.
Do not plug the USB cable in until prompted to do so
When the software prompts you, plug the USB cable in & make sure the printer is on.
A baloon popup should appear saying new hardware found and indicating that it found the printer
Let it contine. Some HP drivers can take a while
Try to print a test page when completed

If the USB cable is plugged in prior to being prompted sometimes the install will fail.

Keep us posted
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Karlie

Karlie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:40 AM

Thanks for your guidance. Did I goof here? I uninstalled the extra items in Add/Remove as you indicated. I then went to Revo to see of they were really gone.

HP Photo & Imaging 2.0 All in one was still showing, as was
HP Photo & Imaging 2.0 All in one drivers.

Thinking I was clever(dumb is a better word),
I uninstalled HP Photo & imaging 2.0 all-in-one.

Then...I wondered if I messed with something I should not have done and that this deletion will cause a problem later.
The All in one 2.0 Photo & Imaging is still there, I did not touch it as fear struck me!!

I have not yet installed the PSC and will save that task until I hear from you.

Thanks

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:23 PM

You have an HP system. Those programs may have come pre-installed.
Dont panic and try installing the printer as I outlined above
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Karlie

Karlie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:26 PM

This has been a day of frustration. I have tried to install this PSC several times with no luck. I wonder if I should use the installation disc again and then try to update the drivers. I have no other idea of what to do except throw this thing in the trash. I never got any 'installed new hardware balloons, just 15 minutes of install then no indication of what to do next. I disabled anti-virus and firewall to do this installation. Nothing...

If I use the old installation disc, what drivers should I try? If you could be so kind as suggest, I would appreciate it. After this next effort, I will no longer fiddle with this PSC. Even though it is new, it is a several year old machine. I don't know what to buy but something has to be better than this.

I feel there is no excuse for HP to make updating so difficult.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users