Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade: RAM or CPU?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MCPx

MCPx

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:13 AM

I'm deciding on whether to upgrade my CPU or my RAM, but not sure which. Which will give me the biggest performance boost in games?

I have:
1GB 800mhz DDR2 x2 RAM
AMD Athlon 4600+ Dual-Core 2.4ghz CPU
NVidia GeForce 9800GTX+ Graphics card
XFX 8300 motherboard
Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

I want to upgrade either my ram to 2GB x 2 DDR2 1066 Memory or my CPU to an AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 965 - Black Edition CPU - 3.4Ghz Socket AM3. Which would be a better choice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,972 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:25 AM

Looks like it's upgrade your RAM. I don't see the sense of hobbling any performance CPU with 2GB of RAM.

But in any case, the maximum spec for the board is AM2+ CPUs up to 95W. The 965 is an AM3 125W thermal spec.

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/motherb...eries/8300.aspx

Here is someone selling one because it can't run that CPU:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XFX-GeForce-8300-Mot...2-/270635408995

Edited by Platypus, 23 September 2010 - 08:33 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:46 AM

Windows 7/64 needs more ram. By my memory I think Microsoft recommends at least 2 gigs of ram. Putting more ram in will give you a big boost for your bucks. If you get a new M/B with only 1 gig of ram you will still be very slow.

#4 MCPx

MCPx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for the replies :thumbsup: . In that case I'll upgrade my RAM and save up to buy a new m/b and CPU later

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users