Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CHKDSK and Vista Backup Won't Execute

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lizzieintn

lizzieintn

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:50 PM

On 9/20 I installed 2 Vista updates from Microsoft. When I restarted to finish installing them I received a BSOD. I scheduled a chkdsk and rebooted - whereupon I received the message "Cannot open file for direct access" for my C drive and chkdsk ended. I also cannot perform a Vista backup - I receive the following message: "Windows encountered an internal error. Review your backup and restore settings. (0x81000027)" It is also telling me that I have no system restore points, which I KNOW existed before this error. I was able to manually create a restore point - tried it just to see if it would work and it did.

I recently had an MBR and rootkit infection which was successfully removed on 9/6 with the help of the malware forum. All has been fine until 9/20 when the BSOD at restart to finish installing the updates occurred. Right now I cannot run chkdsk and I cannot backup my data, but windows is executing OK - most of the time. I did receive 1 other BSOD today with BAD_POOL_CALLER msg while on the internet.

I am running Vista Home Premium with service pack 1 - because service pack 2 would not install. I was able to install all updates individually. I am also having issues booting into safe mode - can only boot to safe mode with networking - the other options for safe mode result in windows shutting down. I see no evidence of malware - have run mbrcheck and malwarebytes and they are clean. No redirections on web sites or task bar changing colors either. I also backed out the updates (which were listed as successfully installed) that were involved with the BSOD, but it made no difference.

Anyone know how to resolve the chkdsk and backup issues? I sure could use some help!

TIA!

Edited by lizzieintn, 22 September 2010 - 10:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:18 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Sounds to me as if you may have key system files damaged...or overheating issues...or partition/hard drive problems.

Louis

#3 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:41 AM

I know you said not all things work in Advanced User Mode but, have you tried " Last Known Good Configuration " !

Maybe worth a try, acts just like sys restore !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#4 lizzieintn

lizzieintn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:33 AM

Hi Louis,
Sorry - make and model - Dell Inspiron 1720. I know about the last good configuration, and I will try it and report back, but am thinking that Vista thinks there is nothing wrong because I tried a repair and it said there was nothing to repair and last boot was good boot. This morning, I clicked on a link in my email to access this topic and received BSOD with PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. I have read other posts on this same subject where people totally reinstalled Vista and had the same problem. Others have replaced their hard drive and had the same problem! One person said he solved it by disabling drivers loaded at startup one at a time until he found the offending driver. I have boot logging turned on and every driver I've checked so far is a system driver that should not be turned off. Yes, I check them before I disable them!

I do have 2 internal drives - I get the "Cannot open volume for direct access" on my main drive , and don't get that for my other drive, but it also does not perform chkdsk on it. I just get a message that the drive is clean. If I have my external drive active, I get the same message for it that the drive is clean. I am also having issues with my DVD drive, but quite sure that is hardware. It will play SOME DVDs, but not write. I could not get it to play the Vista installation CD so I created a bootable flash drive using my granddaughter's PC that contains the Vista installation...so I do have that to use.

I am thinking of trying a Vista upgrade in place, but also thinking if others have reinstalled Vista and still had the problem, that won't fix it either!

Thanks,
Liz

Edited by lizzieintn, 23 September 2010 - 09:34 AM.

#5 lizzieintn

lizzieintn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:47 AM

OK, was able to execute a read only chkdsk while the system was up - no issues. Still have issue with chkdsk when booting up and also same issue with Vista backup. Booted up to last known good configuration seemed to make no difference either way.

I do not believe this is a hardware issue, and I do believe it is a Vista issue. I just can't figure out how to fix it! Don't want to go the route of opening a ticket with Microsoft as the Indians were of little help with my malware issue.

I do have the bootlogs if you would like to see it.

Thanks,
Liz

Edited by lizzieintn, 23 September 2010 - 10:48 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:16 PM

Executing a read-only chkdsk...IMO, has no value at all.

If a problem exists that chkdsk cannot modify...finding it will help determine the status of the file system/partition and the hard drive.

If no problems exist that cannot be repaired, then we need to repair all that currently exist.

Chkdsk /r is the command I would run.

Louis

#7 lizzieintn

lizzieintn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:21 AM

Louis,
I figured executing a read only chkdsk only had the value of being able to read the drive - and there were no problems with that. I cannot execute the chkdsk /r because it must execute at boot time - and there is where my problem lies - the chkdsk will not execute at boot time at all. I received ANOTHER BSOD this morning SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION. All of my research has indicated that all BSODs I have experienced are related to a driver issue...even the fact that I can't execute chkdsk at boot time. I just don't know how to track down which driver is causing the issue. I have researched the Microsoft Driver Verifier application but I don't know how to interpret the results and there doesn't seem to be much Microsoft doco on that (what a surprise...LOL). I have also read others having issues booting into safe mode due to having a driver issue, and I also have the safe mode boot issue. There doesn't seem to be much out there regarding how to determine the driver causing the issues.

Any help regarding how to determine which driver is causing an issue would be most appreciated!

Thx,
Liz

Edited by lizzieintn, 24 September 2010 - 11:52 AM.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:11 PM

Try the following:

How to Test your RAM

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to check whether your system's RAM (Ramdom Access Memory) is working properly. Bad RAM can lead to a whole host of problems, often which do not appear to have a single cause -- appearing as systemwide glitches, blue screens, and other system trouble. MemTest86+ provides a very good detection mechanism for failed RAM, and is about as good a test you get short of actually replacing the module itself.

Tools Needed
Please perform these steps from a separate, working, machine.Perform these steps on the problem machine.
  • Put your CD in the drive and configure your machine to boot to the CD. This is different on all machines, but it's usually by pressing F12 or F10 as your system boots, and selecting either "CDROM" or your cdrom drive. If you are unable to force a CDRom boot, reply with the make and model of your machine and I should be able to get you exact instructions.
  • If you've done it correctly, MemTest86+ will start to run automaticly, as shown below:
    Posted Image
  • If you want to be reasonably your RAM is OK, then allow MemTest to run until you see this message:
    Posted Image

On the other hand, if you want to be completely sure your RAM is OK, allow MemTest to run overnight. Memtest will run forever until power is pulled on the machine.
  • Check the MemTest screen for any reported errors. Errors will appear as RED warnings at the bottom of the screen, similar to the following screenshot:
    Posted Image
  • Hard-Reset the machine, removing the MemTest disk in the process.
If you didn't get an error screen, Congratulations! :huh:

#9 lizzieintn

lizzieintn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:14 AM

Well, my DVD drive doesn't work right either (yes, I have made sure it has the most up to date driver!) so I can't even execute the memory test unless I create it on a flash drive - so guess what - I'm in the process of getting another laptop! I could replace the drive, but there are just too many things wrong with this one and I'm tired of constantly spending time working on it. It has actually had some sort of issue from the time I got it just over 2 years ago. I have spent way too many hours working on it and dealing with it's slow response. I just ran a disk check with a bootable flash drive created by the disk check program and it came back OK...so I am still thinking it's actually a Vista issue.

Thanks for trying! I sure would like to be able to back up my data, but guess I will have to settle for my 9/1 backup. I plan on transferring my files from this pc to my new one via a wireless connection...so just hope that doesn't crap out between now and the arrival of my new laptop!!!

Liz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users