Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

from xp to w7 will my computer handle it?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 moparfan1234

moparfan1234

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:31 PM

well i got a alot of bad virus on it. heres the thread where we tryed to fix it http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1937588 and i have desided the best thing is to reformat and reinstall. i do not have any disks for this computer since i got it used.

i dont know much about the computer. i know it has windows XP, a 80gb hard drive, and it is an IBM. so i will need help to find any more info you need.

now i have a windows 7 disk from a e machines computer and every thing els from it when i bought it new. i guess im not sure if i can do it this way ether but its worth a try to ask you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:23 PM

Does your computer have a sticker on the case with the product license key? It should look something like this.

Posted Image
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:36 PM

yes it does but im not sure if that will work. i should of explained in the first post that this computer was owned by a guy that played around with computer alot and has changed things to it that i dont know about. now when i got it i asked for him to take out any extras that would cost me more. so im not sure if it is back to factory or not.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:54 PM

I'm a little confused here.

You wrote that you have a IBM which has infections. And then you wrote about a E-machine that has Windows 7.

Are you considering using the E-machine disks to install windows 7 on the IBM?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:58 PM

yes that is what i was thinking. or is that a no no?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:06 AM

You cannot use the same product key on two different computers.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:12 AM

legally i cant or is that just for windows 7? i have done it with a cuple laptops that had vista but that was because the vista disk that came with the one laptop never worked.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:17 AM

Legally you cannot use the same product key on two different computer regardless of whether it is XP, Vista, Win7 or others.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:20 AM

Unless the product code is for a multiple installation license it is illegal to install that operating system a second time. Being a OEM version it isn't a multiple license, so it would be illegal to install it a second time. This would also cause a problem if you did this, specifically trying to get this second installation activated.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:20 AM

ohh well i never knew that. well i guess wheres the right place to buy a windows XP disk and how do i know its a full reinstallation disk?

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:23 AM

This disk is not really the issue here. It's the product key that is important. If your computer has a sticker on it (refer my post #2) then you can use any XP CD to reinstall Windows. You just need to enter the product key that is given on the sticker. You have to use the correct XP CD (Home or Pro).

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:25 AM

There are all sorts of different places that you can purchase the operating system. Best Buy, Good Guys, Frys, and the list goes on. Or, you can purchase it online from places like Newegg or Tiger Direct.

Where ever you make your purchase, the price should be competitive with other retailers.

Any Windows operating system will come with a twenty five alphanumerical code, if it doesn't, then it isn't a legal copy.

#13 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:35 AM

budapest: so how does a person upgrade to a diffrent version of windows legally?

dc3: thank you i will check out them online stores

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:48 AM

You can buy an upgrade version such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Ho...e/dp/B002DHLUWK

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:29 AM

is there a way to copy the installed windows on my IBM to a CD and then reinstall it without puting the virus stuff back on the IBM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users