Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender Disabled

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cliff46

Cliff46

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:14 PM

Hello, Please help! Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit. Hp Pavalion Desktop 2009. The problem I'm addressing now is, I've tried everything to get windows defender to work, I get Error 0X800106ba. I've been trying to get rid of Internet Explorer 8 problems with acting real disturbing. and I thought I could use windows defender to find additional problems! I have AVG 9.0 anti Virus installed and Windows security essentials anti virus and spyware installed. Was thinking about uninstalling internet explorer and going with firefox to see if it stopped. Thank You Very much if you are reading this and can give me a hand. Cliff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:22 PM

AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials will disable Windows Defender, and I would recommend removing AVG and keeping MSE.

#3 Cliff46

Cliff46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:33 PM

Hello Cryptodan, Thanks for the reply I was wondering if maybe they might interfer with each other! Will give it a shot!

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:40 PM

Yeah they will interfere. It is never recommended to run more then 1 real time scanner at once. Which is why Windows Defender gets disabled when another virus scanner or malware scanner is installed.

#5 trouble at mill

trouble at mill

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:37 AM

Bye the way, I have found that MS security essentials does not seem to do a complete job of disabling Windows Defender, and Defender may still cause problems, I found it best to go into start, type msconfig, click on the startup tab, uncheck Windows Defender, (as it will probably still be checked as a startup item) and click OK.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:40 AM

Actually the best way to disable it is to go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Windows Defender and disable it from there.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:17 AM

Windows Defender is a useless resource hog. I suggest you follow the above advice and set the service to DISABLED. Running scans with MalwareBytes is a much better alternative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users