Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Old Games unveils new site, Baldur's Gate added to their catalog, and more Atari titles in the future

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:11 PM

As expected, Good Old Games going offline was not the end of the company, but rather the launch of their new site. On Wednesday, Sept 22, a bizarre virtual press conference was held that showed two monks first apologizing for the way the site launch was handled and then discussing the new features of the web site.When the press conference started you were greeted with a video of two monks apologizing for the way this publicity stunt was conducted and for bring GOG offline so suddenly. A point that was emphasized was that regardless of what rumors were spread, Good Old Games will NOT have DRM or require a download client in order to play any games purchased from their site. They also stated that the new site will be available tomorrow at 1PM GMT and that new users will have the ability to sign up and download some free games. At launch they will also have the highly anticipated title Baldur's Gate and the expansion available for $9.99.
Apologizing Monks
They further discussed that the new site has had a major overhaul with over 98% of the code rewritten. The changes in the code and infrastructure now allow the site run 10 times faster and handle 6 times the traffic. The site was redesigned to include larger graphics, a single descriptive sentence for each game, a new simplified registration process. The catalog now allows you to list games by genre and filter them by options that include single player, multiple, co-op, release date, price, and developer.Another new feature is what they call GogMixes. These are user created lists that contain selected games based around a particular theme. These lists can then be voted on by the rest of the Gog.com community where the highest voted will be displayed on the main GogMixes page. For those who are familiar with Amazon lists, this is a similar concept.Last, but not least, they announced that they will be bringing the Atari RPGs to their catalog starting with Baldur's Gate. There were some excellent RPGs released by Atari in the past that include Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment, all of which are eagerly awaited titles.Though it was expected that this was a publicity stunt, many of the people attending the conference were obviously disappointed with how it was handled. Yes, this got GOG a lot of press that they may not normally have had, but it was done at the expense of faithful users who were not only concerned that a favorite site was gone, but also angry that they were unable to download the games that they had previously purchased.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

I guess they need a class in proper PR Etiquette.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

Good Old Games will NOT have DRM or require a download client in order to play any games purchased from their site.

The last time I downloaded a game (admittedly some time ago) I could, in theory, download using any HTTP client. I prefer to shunt large downloads to a background app (wget) but there was some issue where a token of some sort would expire and the URL would become invalid, thus stopping the download. The only way to overcome this would be to use GOG's downloader. The downloader was ok, and it must have had some functionality to refresh the token, but I'm wondering if "not requiring a download client" means they fixed whatever token timeout thingamabob I was running into?

#4 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:47 PM

I guess they need a class in proper PR Etiquette.

Seriously. This was a poorly executed publicity stunt. Nothing more.

I'm still a little peeved at them for pulling something like this. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users