Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange graphical problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Fishbed

Fishbed

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:02 PM

I've been having problems with my computer where, with no warning, graphics, icons and text will start to vanish from the taskbar and desktop. What typically happens is that, after an long length of time (usually 7+ hours), I notice that the application name of running tasks on the taskbar vanish, icons and the clock will vanish from the notification area and the word "start" disappears from the Start button. The desktop and Start menu have the same problems with disappearing icons and/or names. If an icon is clicked on or highlighted it returns, but soon vanishes again. Despite all this, Firefox (usually what I'm using at the time) still displays all images and text perfectly. Restarting the PC solves the problem instantly.
What is concerning me is that while this used to be a rare problem and would only happen if the computer was running for a very long time, it has gradually been happening more frequently and seems to be starting sooner. Scans for spyware and viruses show nothing - can anybody suggest what may be happening?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:08 PM

What version of Windows?
Also, pls post system make/model

Thks!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Fishbed

Fishbed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:06 AM

Version is XP Media Center Edition 5.1; the system is made by iQon (I'm not sure which model).
Could this be a failure of hardware rather than software? It's worth noting that this computer was bought very cheaply and started suffering from problems very early on (the disc drive, speakers, mouse and fan have all been defective in some way) and it's now several years old.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:45 AM

I would try uninstalling the graphics drivers (via Device Manager)...and then reinstalling same.

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Louis

#5 Fishbed

Fishbed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:25 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding. I tried doing what you said, but the Device Manager wasn't particularly obvious in what to do - how do I go about uninstalling/reinstalling?

#6 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:30 PM

If you wait a long time, will the item that isn't being displayed return without your interaction with it? If you just step away from the computer for a bit and come back, does it return?

If you would, please download and run Speccy, publish the results, and post a link to your system specifications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users