Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP taken over by new logon password screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deewar25

deewar25

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:46 AM

No idea how this one happened and 'assume' it's a hack. Turn on the computer today and the windows login screen pops up. Small detail, I have never used one and no one would have added one in the day since it was last turned on ok. I tried logging in through Administrator and no password, no luck - I do get an MSVIDCTL system error on ehrecvr.exe associated with the login screen, but no other information. The media center has never really worked with it.

How do I get around this issue? I quickly checked before I left for work and I can get into safe mode (well, at least bios screen). I did try last known configuration and no luck. I have also downloaded UBCD4win file as a boot CD to try when i get home, but heck, you guys are the best here so maybe have better ideas.

I won't be home until the evening to try to work it out.

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:13 PM

How to log on to your Windows XP-based computer if you forget your password or if your password expires?

#3 deewar25

deewar25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:46 AM

not looking good of course since I don't have a reset disk and have no idea the username that should be used since I didn't set it up! I have given up basically and will just try to recover the harddrive and buy a new one - I see no way around it as I get that logon screen even in safe mode.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

We sympathize with your situation. Though your question is most likely legitimate, there are others who may read this topic and use the information for nefarious or even criminal purposes. It is for that reason we do not provide more specific assistance.

If you need more information you can try doing a Google search on how to reset or recover an administrator password.

Thanks for your understanding.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users