Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modified Timestamp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:18 AM

I have a large library of MP3 files and I am adding some details (like Song, Artist, Comments, etc.) on the "Summary" tab after I right click the file.
After I apply the changes, the timestamp changes to the current date I modified the file. This is a problem for me as I want to keep track of the original dates these files were ripped from my CD collection to my computer.

Is there a way to disable this feature in Windows? I know you can do a tweak for disabling the last access timestamp, but what about preventing Windows from changing the datestamp when you modify a file?

Note, that my files are on an external NTFS formatted drive and they are my own personal property.

Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dse37

dse37

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:42 AM

Nexus File Manager is useful for many ways, especially changing attribs/timestamps of files. As a batch too.

You can find that here.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:15 AM

Thanks dse37.
However, I found something even more cool on this page here.

When you right click any file or folder, you will notice an extra tab called Timestamp where you can change the dates/time. :flowers:

However, I have yet to find out how to prevent the modified timestamp from changing when I make modifications to a file or its properties. I guess there is no way this can be done natively in Windows.

So this is a 2 step process.
1) Change what you need to you in your file, click apply and OK....the timestamp will be modified.
2) Right click, select Properties then the Timestamp tab and change the date. Click apply and OK and voila! the timestamp has changed!! :thumbsup:

There is no way around the 2 step process....a small price to pay for a wonderful piece of freeware!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users