Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Jump Drive Info?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:24 AM

My computer's been acting up lately and someone suggested I buy a jump drive just in case the hard drive gives out.

I was wondering if that is better than any other form of saving information. I figure I have relatively few files to save.

I read jump drives work with any new PC, but mine isn't new...is there any way to know if I have the plug-in required for a jump drive and which one to buy?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DarkRaika

DarkRaika

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:28 AM

Can you explain Jump Drive? I have no clue what that term means. Others may also.

31337 is a prime number .... 1337 is not .... go figure!

#3 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:57 AM

Ummm, I think JumpDrive may be one brand's name for an external hard drive. But then I have no idea either.

It's one of those small portable things that can transfer info from one computer to another.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:05 AM

I think a jump drive is a USB flash memory stick.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:14 AM

Jump Drive defined
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 05:35 PM

I think the answer to your problem is an external hard drive. You get more for your money, and it is compatible with old usb ports. There are also flash drives, but to get any size you may as well buy the external hard drive. For what you pay for a 8gb flash you can buy about 160gb external .As for the original question: jump, flash and external are all compatible with old or new usb ports. The important thing to note here is that the drive should come with it's own power supply whatever you buy. Power supplies in older computers are sometimes not up to the challenge.

Edited by gunner, 12 November 2005 - 05:46 PM.

Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 07:51 PM

Depending on your operating system (which I can't remember) you may need a driver to make your USB Flash disk work - check that a driver is available for the model you want before you buy it.

Flash disks are great but they are intended to replace Floppy disks i.e. as a temporary backup or transfer medium, not your hard disk. If you just want to save some data files a flash disk is fine but if you want to make a copy (image) your existing hard drive then an external hard drive would be better.
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:29 PM

Flash drive also have a finite rewrite. From what I has read they can only be written to 1000 times. For daily use that would mean a possible failure in just over 3 years. Sooner if the same sector is written to several times a day.

#9 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:19 PM

Thanks for the info.

I have a Windows98 OS, btw.

If I'm looking to back up or save info, what would the external hard drive be for?

Edited by PCIlliterateGal, 21 November 2005 - 10:34 PM.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:05 PM

It would give you more bang for the buck. You can use it to back up your entire drive if you desire. 100,000+ hour life. More room than any flash drive can store.
If you have different computer, say at school or work, that can boot a USB drive you could configure it to boot those computers. This wold allow you to have your computer in several places.
I find the best way is to use a multisession CD to backup just data.
I think since you are backing up, you should start with backing up your registry at least weekly or no less than monthly. If your registry gets hosed you will be glad you did.

#11 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:38 PM

I have a Windows98 OS, btw.

If you mean Win98SE then you will need a driver for sure - check one is provided with the flash disk before you buy one. If you mean plain Win98 you may be out of luck - I don't think they work with the original '98.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users