Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot system

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mako1

Mako1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:14 AM

I am working on a friend's system for him and after the XP splash screen the system just goes blank. I tried using my (he cannot find his) Windows CD to get to a C:\ The computer is an HP, but I cannot get it to go into recover the partition. I have tried chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr. Then I tried bootconfig and received an error saying the computer could not find a file. Now when I try to boot the system is says missing boot.ini file. I am not sure what to try next and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:43 AM

Before you started trying things...did you try to boot into safe mode?

What model HP?

If it's an HP system...your friend has recovery/restore disks. Probably needs to search for them or contact HP about replacements.

Louis

#3 Mako1

Mako1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:13 AM

I could not get it to boot at all. It would just go to a blank screen. I tried safe mode and nothing. I tried with command prompt and it would start to scroll through the files and stop at mup and freeze. I cannot get into anything to even determine what went wrong. It is a pavillion HP of some type (I don't have the system in front of me) and I have him looking for the recovery CDs. Any other ideas/thoughts?

Thanks,

Nick

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

Did you check the HP website...for troubleshooting such problems?

Standard fixes may not apply to systems with recovery/restore partitions and atypical boot partitions, IMO.

Louis

#5 Mako1

Mako1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:40 AM

The hard drive has a partition on it for recovery, but I cannot access to boot from there. Is it possible from recovery to change the boot.ini file? Would I be better off taking the hard drive out, putting it on another system and changing/fixing files from there? If so, which files could I fix to get it to boot?

Thanks,
Nick

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:02 PM

If...you provide the exact model of the system...we could just go to the HP site and look up such items as how to effect a system recovery/restore.

Other than that...I can't tell you much about HP systems and the options installed on each and every one.

Louis

#7 Mako1

Mako1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:25 PM

I'll see what I can find out!

Thanks

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:57 PM

Bootcfg /rebuild should recreate the boot.ini file
See http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000648.htm
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 Mako1

Mako1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:49 PM

Tried that and it says it is going to scan for windows...then says error unable to proceed try chkdsk to fix problems. Tried chkdsk and it reports no problems.

#10 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:44 PM

It sounds like you modified your mbr in your repair attempts. Unfortunately, HP uses a custom boot loader to intercept the F11 or Ctrl-F11 keys and boot the recovery partition.

To boot from this partition again you will need to use a boot loader that can access it.

Here is one plausable solution, assuming your recovery partition is in good health itself:

1. On another computer download Super Grub Disk and burn it to a cdrom.
2. Boot your Pavilion from the cd you just burned. You may need to change your boot order in bios to boot from a cdrom.
3. Using your keyboard arrow keys and the enter key, while in the SGD boot menu:

- Select "Language Selection (Go Back)"
- Select "Boot & Tools"
- Select the recovery partition label you wish to boot. This may be "Vista Recovery" or "HP Recovery" or some such.

If all goes well, this should boot your recovery partition and allow you to restore the system to factory settings, or whatever else the HP Recovery Manager allows you to do on that system.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Gabrial, 24 September 2010 - 01:46 PM.

#11 Mako1

Mako1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:28 PM

I tried as you suggested and here is what happened. If I try to boot the recovery partition I get an error saying the file is missing or corrupt: HAL.dll. Then I tried to boot the original partition in safe mode and it started to list the drivers and hung up at agp40.sys. Then I tried to boot the partition in normal mode and got the XP splash screen but then the screen went away and nothing happened. RATS!!!

Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users