Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 logbuilders

logbuilders

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 07:35 AM

I have a problem downloading zip-files on my desktopcomputer but not on my portable.
Both are running XP-sp2
The problem is that zip files are reported corrupted - tryed several times with different files from different sites.
The problem is the same using winace or winzip regardles if the zipfiles are saved or just opend in the dialog with the site.
Can anybody help

Kind regards
logbuilders - Denmark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 07:55 AM

Hello logbuilders and welcome to BC.

This is usually a symptom of bad or failing ram. Do you get a specific error message?

You might get lucky and be able to correct the problem by cleaning the dust from inside the computer.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 logbuilders

logbuilders
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 08:17 AM

Hello logbuilders and welcome to BC.

This is usually a symptom of bad or failing ram. Do you get a specific error message?

You might get lucky and be able to correct the problem by cleaning the dust from inside the computer.

I can download other things witout any problems.
I only get erromessage from wincip - corrupted file - download again
Winace does not give any errormessage.

The computer is working 100 % no virus no adware

Cleaning the dust - a joke or ?? :thumbsup:

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:13 AM

The problem is the same using winace or winzip

I only get erromessage from wincip - corrupted file - download again
Winace does not give any errormessage.

So which is it?

Reinstall WinZip and see what happens. If its both programs it could be a ram problem and no thats not a joke. Sufficient dust can short a ram module and create errors and corrupt all kinds of things.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 logbuilders

logbuilders
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:29 AM

Is it possibel to test the ram-moduls ?

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:33 AM

MemTest86 is a good Ram tester. It creates a bootable floppy, if you have a floppy drive. Try the quick test first, the other tests can take hours.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/memtest86.html

#7 logbuilders

logbuilders
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 12:24 PM

Running the test now - i got not the opportunity to run the quik test - i will se what happens and come back.
I appriciate your kind help - thak you

#8 logbuilders

logbuilders
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 04:10 PM

Running the test now - i got not the opportunity to run the quik test - i will se what happens and come back.
I appriciate your kind help - thak you

Yes - the program reported 1 error at adr 0000CF288C4 - 207.5MB

Is this critical only downloading zip-fils ?
I can without any problem download diiferent files.

The RAM is on one HW-module - is it nessesary to change the modul or ca i per software solve the problem ?

#9 logbuilders

logbuilders
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 05:21 PM

I just discovered that i without any problems can download the zip-files with Firefox - but still not with Windows Explorer.
Strange or ?????????

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:50 PM

Ram is funny stuff when its like that. I had some that consistently gave 6 errors. I used it and just put up with it for a long time.

You have a specific address in your memory that is damaged. You will only get an error from that if your programs need to access that address. So it will depend on how many programs you have open, how long your computer has been running, how many things you are doing at once and some certain programs might hardly run, if at all. At some point that address will be accessed by something and then you get your error.

You can't fix this with software, you need to replace the module. Do you have more than one? What type and how much ram do you have? Its fairly cheap right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users