Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Freezes after login

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheSwitch

TheSwitch

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:03 AM

Hi all,

A friend of mine's got a problem with her Sony laptop (running Windows XP, no idea about SP atm).
It will freeze right after logging in. She says it does not freeze when booting into Safe Mode (With Network support).
I don't have physical access to the machine (she'll drop it off on Friday) but I'm trying to plan my actions.

My first idea is that there's a service or process that automatically starts in regular mode that causes the system to freeze, and I guess this service or process isn't being started in Safe Mode, and therefore the system doesn't lock up there. My plan was to boot in Safe Mode, and have MBAM scan the system for any malicious threats, if afterwards it still locks up, I guess it's either a valid service or process causing mayhem, or a virus or Trojan that's hard to kill.

If the system still locks up after having it scanned, the next step is looking at what's getting booted (MSCONFIG > Startup), and then switching off processes and services one by one (anything but the very essential services/programs), and see if it's still locking up.

The idea is that when I (carefully) disable a process or service from booting, and afterwards the system does not freeze on boot, I could zero in on the culprit and take action to solve the problem.

My question is: What's the most "responsible" way to go about disabling programs/services from booting in MSCONFIG > Startup? There are components one doesn't want to stop from booting, as that could cause harm to the system. I ruled out hardware related issues as the system works in Safe Mode.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

PS: I'll edit this post with additional details as soon as they surface.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tbird4

tbird4

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:07 AM

this sounds similar to my problem, posted right after yours. @_@

#3 TheSwitch

TheSwitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:29 AM

this sounds similar to my problem, posted right after yours. @_@

Hey, I just read your problem, I've not yet run any diagnostic tools, so I can't really comment on the likeness of it being the same issue.

What is odd, is that she did mention that it sometimes also occurred when she plugged in the internet cable. But I thought this to be too general to mention in my first post, as she didn't specify in which mode this occurred, or what other conditions were applicable in this situation (as this must mean she at least once was able to continu past the login screen and nothing locked up).

A first guess would be to boot it when it's not connected to the internet and check in Device Manager if there's a driver conflict with the Network Interface Controller (network card), it's signaled by a yellow exclamantion mark next to the name of the hardware item that's causing the conflict. Another thing I would want to try is if it occurs both with the wired and wireless connection, as this could perhaps give a clue as to where things are going wrong.

Ofcourse, this is mere speculation on my part, and therefore I suggest to merely inspect, and not alter, any information you encounter, unless you know what you're doing. The last thing you need is extra problems on top of the original one.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:31 AM

Well...if it boots and freezes only in normal boot mode...I think that would point to a driver, not a service necessarily. It could also point to file corruption within a key file which loads under normal boot.

Of course, there are all types of drivers on a system...hardware, software, Windows.

I would check Event Viewer first, in the absence of an onscreen error message. There I would review the errors listed...and set about trying to solve them.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

Louis

#5 TheSwitch

TheSwitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:07 PM

Oops, it wasn't XP, it's a Vista. This topic can be deleted.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:38 PM

Wrong O/S listed, OP has properly posted in Vista.

Closing this thread.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users