Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Photoshop CS

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Bland

Eric Bland

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 11 October 2004 - 12:05 PM

Anyone know the best place to pick up a photoshop CS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 11 October 2004 - 06:24 PM

I'm a big fan of Ebay, not everyone is and you do here some horror stories, but so far i've got everything i've paid for in the condition it was advertised.

Chief.

#3 Ataryu

Ataryu

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2004 - 10:30 PM

I don't see the new features all that great to pay another.....200 or so bucks to upgrade.

#4 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2004 - 06:14 PM

I don't see the new features all that great to pay another.....200 or so bucks to upgrade.

I have to agree with Ataryu on the CS versus PS7. For the average web/graphic designer you are better off getting Photoshop7.
I have used CS and it actually has less effects filters (or missing ones) than PS7, but you can add them at a later date.
Maybe Photoshop9 will be better :thumbsup:

Chief.

#5 Eric Bland

Eric Bland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2004 - 11:37 PM

Thanks, that sounds like good advice. I will stick with PS 7 and wait to see what the next version has.

--------------------------
SEO Forum Reciprocal Links
Search Engine Optimization
Website Designs Eric Bland

#6 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2004 - 12:49 AM

hey u know u guys dont have to pay for any of these programs right you can get them all free if any of you have heard of StudioMX it is amazing comes with about 5 or 6 programs to graphic design and 1 of them makes a html web site for you instead of you scripting everything

and is Photo Shop 7 any good i never used it before could you show me and example of what it can do :thumbsup:
I can only learn what i want to learn.

#7 Ataryu

Ataryu

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2004 - 01:54 AM

What are you talking about? You can't get Photoshop by buying the studio MX package....Two different companies....and completely different programs.

And Macromedia doesn't carry any software that can match up to Photoshop, when it comes to the same type of software. But that is my opinion, and I havnít really gone in depth with any of their software besides flash. Flash and PS aren't the same type of software in the most part, so I don't see how you could compare them.

By the way, Dreamweaver doesn't create HTML websites for you....it just helps you code them so you don't have to remember all the tags yourself. But if you don't know how to code and you ran into a problem how would you be able to fix it? There may be a few templates included but that is about it when it comes to creating a website for you.

Photoshop kicks ars! I think itsí a must have.... But once again, thatís just my opinion.

#8 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:08 AM

Yes Photoshop 7 is still a very good program. I have both of them. There are some differences, one with paintbrush; however it is not that much of a change as well as others which i don't think are significant to go into. "cs" is a good program if you want to spend the $. Mine was a gift so i don't complain about either program. Early festive season!!
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#9 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2004 - 08:02 AM

and is Photo Shop 7 any good i never used it before  could you show me and example of what it can do :flowers:

Man... That's the ultimate program ALL photo prof's on Earth are using.. :thumbsup:
It's imposible to explain Photoshop in few words.. Here are few links.. Have look for youself..
http://www.vecpix.com/]http://www.vecpix.com/
http://www.trainingtools.com/online/photoshop7/index.htm
http://www.wz2k.co.uk/pages/downloads/down...hop%20Video#top
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#10 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2004 - 09:57 AM

I tried out of the box Paint shop Pro and of course it was easier and then i decided to try photoshop elements 2 which is a very watered down version but i wanted to see what it was all about and a buddy of mine let me use his. It was great for doing minor changes and touchups and i then decided to go to the photoshop 7. it was good but i use my program for photo restore as well as graphics and i found the healing brush in this program a tad awkward to use without a lot of concentration. so i moved up to cs, and found for graphics i preferred the special effects filters better and as a graphic developer i can now better control layers by grouping into color codes and locking. the art brushes are like fine art techniques and as well the colour consistency is very noticeable.

For photo I found the healing brush for removing dust, scratches, blemishes, flaws was much more user friendly and i did not have to spend a lot of time concentrating. The color correction, and matching of color is great and the straight command is much more responsive.
The program does need a lot of experimenting but not hard to learn you simply need the desire to learn and have the intent to put time into the learning aspect which requires some doing.
I can't comment on the web or video aspect as i don't use it for that specifically, though i have done some website work and have been very satisfied with the final results, Take a look at the wealth of books out there and it will give you a good idea about the 2 programs. And assist in your final decision. The fact that photoshop does not give support once a new program is out is a frustating fact and may want to be included in your thoughts when you review 7 and cs as i am not sure when their new product will be out.
My instructor in the course that i took was a web designer as well were 6 out of the total of 10 members enrolled in the class. they all previously had photo shop 7 like i did and after the class are now committed to cs, as we keep in touch with one another which is the virute of enrolling in a class. Good Luck on your choice and enjoy the challenges and the final work that the program produces.
And remember, I am only one of probably many members that use this software at B/C and the comments that i make are only my experiences and opinions. Hopefully you will hear other first hand experiences with the programs.
I know that the programs are pricey, but i have always been a firm believer that you get what you pay for, and as I mentioned earlier Santa's helper gifted me with the cs early, i believe with a slight hint that i would do some pix enhancements up for Christmas presents which is what i did.
It's amazing the number of people that like to get pictures from days gone by.
Take care and again good luck, put your chosen program on the list and maybe jolly ole St. Nick will hit the computer stores in his mad rush of getting things together!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by georgia, 16 December 2004 - 10:07 AM.

Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#11 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2004 - 06:21 AM

hey u know u guys dont have to pay for any of these programs right you can get them all free if any of you have heard of StudioMX it is amazing comes with about 5 or 6 programs to graphic design and 1 of them makes a html web site for you instead of you scripting everything

and is Photo Shop 7 any good i never used it before  could you show me and example of what it can do :flowers:

a few examples of sigs i've created over the past few weeks:-
Posted Image Made completely from scatch
Posted Image made with the use of some video editing in Imageready and photoshop7
Posted Imagemain pics found on the web but the rest is my own work.
These are just a sample of what photoshop7 can do, there must be over a 1000 features/techniques that i never get round to using with this program, the more i use it, the more i learn.
With the PS7 versus CS argument/debate, i would suggest you go with the latest and greatest if your just starting out, i'm sure that CS is better than PS7 in many ways but i'm sticking with what i know, if i was just starting out i would go with CS.

Chief.

P.S. studio MX is a whole different ball game and you cannot compare it with photoshop. I own studio MX and i'm still trying to learn it (not easy) and fireworks (macromedias main graphic app) is nothing like photoshop, it deals mainly with vector graphics (straight lines and curves) where as photoshop works mainly with raster graphics (pixels).
FlashMX is an awesome program and one that is on my "to learn list"...............watch this space lol :thumbsup:

Edited by chiefmasterjedi, 18 December 2004 - 06:31 AM.

#12 Bulldog

Bulldog

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 10:48 AM

you can download a free trial of Photoshop CS and ImageReady CS online when I downloaded it it said you get the whole program, just no support until you purchase. Its about 130 MB to download.
bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abe Lincoln

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users