Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing A Network Card

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dawn_37

dawn_37

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:46 AM

[font=Comic Sans Ms][size=7][b][color=#FF0000][font=Comic Sans Ms][font=Arial][font=Comic Sans Ms]

please help. i am a newbie at all this but ill explain what ive done so far.
i have got given a old pc that used to run windows millennium and someone decided to put xp on it. the machine crashed and all that was seen was a blue screen. therefore the pc was given to me where i then installed windows 98se on it all was great.
i am running a network at home with my desktop pc, my sons pc then i have a laptop.
great idea i thought to buy a network card and put it on my network so i can then give this pc to my other son.
i bought a network card off ebay (a asus g band), fitted it and loaded the disc but windows couldn't see the card. i tested the card on a friends pc and his seen it straight away. i then took my sons network card out of his and put it into this pc i was given and it saw it. my friend suggested that win98 had glitches and so therefore advised me to install windows millennium on it again which i did. same problem though and it couldn't see it. i returned the card back to ebay and got the refund. the task now was if it saw my sons network card which is a us robotics, then thats the one i should buy. i did and was all excited. i read the manual before i did anything and i crashed at the first hurdle as even before i install the card i need to insert the cd rom. aghhh it wont even read the cd rom it says it has made an illegal operation and needs to shut down. i am ready to throw this pc out of the ruddy window. please help if you can as i am going nuts. oh ps i reverted back to 98se and tried it there as well but to no avail
does anyone have any answers for me before i crack up.??????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DarkRaika

DarkRaika

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:36 AM

Ok first problem are we talking about a NIC or a Wireless NIC? You have stated its a G band which I believe what your trying to tell me is its a 802-11g Wireless Card. After setting it up correctly it makes total sense it would work at your friends place and not at home.

1. I don't know if you have a wireless setup at home or not and if you do then..
2. Is it compatible with you Wireless router?

And what we are talking about there is ... are you running a:
802-11a
802-11b
802-11g

Next question is are you running it with encryption and if you are then what setup is it
WEP
WPA

maybe its something as simple as setting up the correct SSID details and IP numbers for your PC.
Not enough information there to go on but hopefully this helps.

31337 is a prime number .... 1337 is not .... go figure!

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:16 PM

:thumbsup: to BC dawn_37,

Firstly - your covering a lot of ground in that post - are we fixing the CDROM, the operating system or the network card?
I think we need to go back to basics - were these changes from Win98 to WinME to Win98 done with a clean install? i.e. did you format your drive each time, or were they upgrades or is it dual boot?
You need to give us some information about your system such as CPU type, RAM capacity, hard drive make and size, graphics card type, what anti-virus or anti-spyware you have and some details about your applications.

You should do this:
  • Clean out your internet cache and temporary files:

• Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode
    How to find scandisk: Double click 'My Computer', right-click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Error Checker

• When that's finished do a defrag.
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

• Reboot.

• Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Double-click 'My Computer',right-click on your C: drive and select 'Properties'.
Secondly - If I had to choose between WinME and Win98SE I'd take Win98SE any day!.

Thirdly - have a look in the New Users Orientation forum. There's a good tutorial on using BBcodes in your messages there. But please don't post your message in size 7 or any large font, it will just make it a nuisance to read.

Get back to us. :flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 12 November 2005 - 06:43 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 dawn_37

dawn_37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:56 PM

:thumbsup: to BC dawn_37,

Firstly - your covering a lot of ground in that post - are we fixing the CDROM, the operating system or the network card?
I think we need to go back to basics - were these changes from Win98 to WinME to Win98 done with a clean install? i.e. did you format your drive each time, or were they upgrades or is it dual boot?
You need to give us some information about your system such as CPU type, RAM capacity, hard drive make and size, graphics card type, what anti-virus or anti-spyware you have and some details about your applications.

You should do this:

• Clean out your internet cache and temporary files:

• Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode
    How to find scandisk: Double click 'My Computer', right-click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Error Checker

• When that's finished do a defrag.
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

• Reboot.

• Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Double-click 'My Computer',right-click on your C: drive and select 'Properties'.
Secondly - If I had to choose between WinME and Win98SE I'd take Win98SE any day!.

Thirdly - have a look in the New Users Orientation forum. There's a good tutorial on using BBcodes in your messages there. But please don't post your message in size 7 or any large font, it will just make it a nuisance to read.

Get back to us. :)its ok guys. i got a neighbour round to help. it was struggling to read the cd rom so i couldnt do anything with it. neighbour got it to read and now its set up. just to let u guys know though i have a wireless network and it was awireless turbo pci adapter that i was trying to set up in a pc. you guys are great and the amount of stuff that goes wrong with my pc you can rest assure i will be darkening this forum again. lol. thank you so much. dawn

#5 dawn_37

dawn_37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:59 PM

:)its ok guys. i got a neighbour round to help. it was struggling to read the cd rom so i couldnt do anything with it. neighbour got it to read and now its set up. just to let u guys know though i have a wireless network and it was awireless turbo pci adapter that i was trying to set up in a pc. you guys are great and the amount of stuff that goes wrong with my pc you can rest assure i will be darkening this forum again. lol. thank you so much. dawn
[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users