Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing desktop icons and task bar

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ti-luc

ti-luc

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:18 AM

I no longer have desktop icons or task bar only wall paper. Right click does nothing but I do have the task manager by ctrl-alt-del. I tried several things recommended on other forums but no luck. Can't find explorer or even microsoft outlook for email. I do have access to internet which is how I came upon this site.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:50 AM

Try this
In task manager go to Tab Aplications, then new task and type explorer.exe
OK

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:58 AM

Can you try creating another user and see if it happens under that other user?

#4 ti-luc

ti-luc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:47 PM

Try this
In task manager go to Tab Aplications, then new task and type explorer.exe
OK

Yep! tried that too. the program "explorer.exe" was not found.
Thanks for trying

#5 ti-luc

ti-luc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:26 PM

There are 4 users currently in the system by the way it is Windows XP professional with SP3. They all have the same issue. Do you think I need to create another one? If so I might need some guidance on that as well via task manager ... only thing that works at this point.

I've tried numerous things (too many too list) from various forums such as microsoft.com etc.... over the last 5 days and in my desperation I downloaded comboFix.exe from this site last night. Unsuccesful I might add.
Thanks appreciate any other advice before I pull the plug........ti-luc

#6 Harryv514

Harryv514

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:48 AM

Hello,

I have had this happen to my desktop computer about a week ago. What has most likely occurred is that a virus infected your explorer.exe and your antivirus program deleted this file. Since it is a windows operating system file your antivirus program had to delete this file during reboot and before Windows has started, since it is normally this file is running when running Windows. You need to use a bootable BartePE CD, which will start a condensed version Windows from CD which will allow you to copy and paste a explorer.exe to your Windows folder to repair your original Windows. Unfortunately, this may not be the only steps you would need to take to repair your operating system and bring it back to operating condition. I have seen other Windows operating system files get infected and then be deleted by the antivirus software in an attempt to get ride of a virus only to leave the Windows operating system crippled! I hope this give you some ideas to work with. There is so much to this stuff I can't describe all the possble steps, but using the BartePE Cd and having a backup copy of the Windows registry has enabled me to recover from this type of problem more than once. As an alternative you may be able to do a repair install of Windows to get back your operating system before you decide you need to reinstall Windows.

Harryv514

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:26 AM

There are 4 users currently in the system by the way it is Windows XP professional with SP3. They all have the same issue. Do you think I need to create another one? If so I might need some guidance on that as well via task manager ... only thing that works at this point.

What kind of accounts are they? Are they limited or are they Administrative?

I've tried numerous things (too many too list) from various forums such as microsoft.com etc.... over the last 5 days and in my desperation I downloaded comboFix.exe from this site last night. Unsuccesful I might add.
Thanks appreciate any other advice before I pull the plug........ti-luc

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

With that said I think you are probably experiencing a failing video card.

Edited by cryptodan, 23 September 2010 - 04:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users