Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system and driver files are in quarentine, but cant be cured.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Toxic_Avenger

Toxic_Avenger

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:21 AM

Hello Bleeping Computer, a little while ago my computer started to freeze for 15-20min after boot. I thought it was a hardware problem until my Avast free version started quarantining a lot of my system files and driver components. Now i don't have a playback device for audio hopefully because of the files that were put into Avast's virus chest. I began a thread on their support forum website but after a few days, they stopped replying to me. Perhaps you can help?

The entire description of my problem can be found here, along with all the steps i took up untill they stopped replying, i felt like linking the page would be more practical than re-writing it all.
Avast forum page...

Thanks, Drew.

Edited by hamluis, 22 September 2010 - 07:38 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:37 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have access to a Microsoft Genuine XP CD?

I am moving this to the Am I Infected forum where your malware situation can be more closely examined.

Louis

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:02 AM

but then slowed to a crawl once it started scanning the Adobe files which were downloaded as a torrent some months ago.

Many helpers will refuse to continue after reading that, some forums will lock yopur thread, all will chastise you as we can't condone using pirated software.

You avast chest shows you must have a file infector, even if you were to replace all those driver and system files with clean ones then the possible rootkit and associated backdoor trojans could easily be alive and well and just start reinfecting them all over again.

http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2009/02/vir...s-throwing.html
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Toxic_Avenger

Toxic_Avenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:45 PM

Dell XPS 410
Windows XP media edition

What is a Microsoft genuine XP CD?

I have removed all torrent files. Thanks dachew for explaining!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users