Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PlayOn won't Uninstall

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:38 PM

A while back, my sister installed the trial version of a PC-to-Wii video player called "PlayOn" on our desktop computer.
It was a handy little application, and although it ate up the CPU while running (live streaming of video to Wii = processing stress), we no longer needed it once we ordered the Netflix disk for Wii.

I should have unistalled PlayOn the day we got Netflix, but I didn't. So, naturally, the trial expired. However, the program remains AND starts up upon booting into Vista. It notifies us that there is an update for playon. I right-click and choose exit. It opens up my browser to an update page. Or, if I don't click exit right away, the notification bubble disappears but the PlayOn icon remains in the taskbar.

I can click exit, but there is no way to prevent this program from starting up at login. I've tried Control Panel>Change Startup Programs, but PlayOn doesn't exist in any list, not even as an N/A from an unknown publisher. I've also tried Control Panel>Uninstall a Program, but it doesn't show up in this list either.

I use Vista SP2 and my account is an administrator account. We also have multiple accounts on the computer, if that's applicable.
Please help me either stop from starting at startup or uninstall this application! :thumbsup:

Edited by TechlessOS_3211, 21 September 2010 - 09:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:27 AM

Try this.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:46 PM

If you do try revo uninstaller:

For best results, use Advanced. If successful, and asked for a reboot, say no.

Then click Next to begin looking for leftover items. Check only the bold entries.

To make sure you get everything, if any entries-usually the last thing listed and not in bold-have a + sign click on the + until you see more bolded items. Check those items to delete. Click next and let it find files you can safely delete.

If a reboot was required, do so after deleting files and folders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users