Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista 64 bit - installing plotter USB to Serial, no luck

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mattbirk

mattbirk

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:24 PM

I have a problem, my plotter Creation CT630 has a USB and Serial port on it, but I have just broken the USB port. I purchased a USB to Serial adapter which says it will work with Vista 64 bit and it comes with drivers. I have had no luck, and every time I unplug the USB adapter from the PC when I replug it back in it needs the drivers again and changed the name from COM 4 to COM 5 and so on...I am now on COM15.

1. Why does it keep changing port numbers when I reinsert it?
2. Is there a generic 64 bit Vista driver for a plotter I could use for it, cause I am having no luck with what I am trying (the printer driver, not adapter)
3. Will this even work? It's a 9 pin serial cable adapter, or do they make a 9 pin male to a 15 pin male serial cable, my laptop only has serial 15 pin

If all that fails, my second attempt to save me from buying a new vinyl cutter is to replace the USB adapter on the plotter, there is a plug to unplug it and I have attached the pictures here of what it looks like.

A. Is it possible to just order this USB adapter part and plug it in to the plotter?
B. Where would I find the USB square part to try and re solder it back to the circuit board?

Follow?

Let me know your thoughts...I think the easiest thing and what I hope is a way to fix the USB part, versus using serial. Let me know if that is something that can be ordered or if there are USB adapters sold to be soldered.

Thanks!

Attached Files

Edited by mattbirk, 21 September 2010 - 08:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:30 PM

Printers usually have LPT and USB Ports not serial.

Take a picture of the port in question.

#3 TheAsylum

TheAsylum

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:13 PM

Also, some of the large format printers have serial ports but they are not always for printing. Many of these ports are for use by a technician with an RS232 cable connection and a terminal to view the printer's processing unit status. That could explain the multiple com port issue, because you might not be communicating with a device that responds in the normal serial routine. So, each time you connect the cable your pc doesn't know what to do with it so it tries to load it as a generic device on a new com port. Are you sure there isn't a network connection somewhere near that usb connection? If there is, that would be your best bet. Let me know if any of this helps.

#4 TheAsylum

TheAsylum

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:18 PM

I just looked at your pictures after posting. Is there another board that has the serial port? The 6 pin connector is definately not serial. Also, any electronics guy should be able to solder the usb port back on there. It's not that hard. You could take it down to even one of those small time tv repair guys, they should be able to do a quick solder job for about the same that you paid for that adapter. Just a thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users