Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New OS's for Netbook

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Roderunner

Roderunner

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:47 AM

I have been asked to install an operating system on a Netbook. The 2 options are http://www.jolicloud.com/ and http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook Which do you suggest ?

Edited by hamluis, 21 September 2010 - 06:56 PM.
Merged threads ~ Hamluis.

George's PC Specs. / Laptop.  Desktop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:17 PM

Well, I'm typing this answer on my Acer Aspire One netbook running Ubuntu 10.04, and I don't know very much about Jolicloud, so I'll just say that I'm very happy with Ubuntu. BTW, I'm running the standard (desktop) version, not the netbook edition. It boots up fast and is very responsive.

Jolicloud is also derived from Linux, so you might want to post in the Linux forum.

#3 Roderunner

Roderunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:40 PM

Thank you Capn Easy, I am a self trained operator, I never knew anything like this even existed till last week. One question, is there any difficulty in getting drivers.

#4 Incoming

Incoming

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:06 PM

I actually don't suggest the netboot remix on Ubuntu.

I had that on my netbook and the display was completely different for me, and I think a 32bit desktop version would work fine.

#5 Roderunner

Roderunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:15 PM

Thanks Incoming.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:38 PM

If you have an USB CD-ROM for your notebook, then I would recommend downloading a few from here: http://www.livecdlist.com/ and try them out live, and see which one yields the best performance on your notebook computer.

#7 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:17 PM

Thank you Capn Easy, I am a self trained operator, I never knew anything like this even existed till last week. One question, is there any difficulty in getting drivers.

We-eee-elllll ... in all honesty, there can be. It's not a huge problem, and it's less likely to be a problem with big brand name components, but in all honesty, it took some tweaking to get my wifi set up properly. Fortunately, it's easy enough (and free) to try. You can expect good help here and at the Ubuntu forum. I assume Jolicloud has a similar forum.

You might be able to head off problems if you run a Live CD (or the flash drive equivalent) from cryptodan's link without touching the Operating system that's on your computer right now.

If you know the make and model of the netbook you'll be using, try using Google, etc., to see if there have been problems reported with it and any version of Linux you might be inclined to try.

Edited by Capn Easy, 21 September 2010 - 09:20 PM.

#8 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:38 PM

Just to throw a wrench into the works, I installed Win 7 Pro on mine and my 2 daughter's Acer Aspire One netbooks. It runs very well and everything works great. Win 7 installed most drivers during installation, I just needed to find a driver for the built-in card reader which I got from the Acer website.

Edited by strolln, 21 September 2010 - 09:45 PM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#9 Incoming

Incoming

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:49 PM

Yes, along the lines with everyone else, I'd recommend using the Universal USB Burner, basically you stick in a USB, burn the ISO you've downloaded, then when you plug in your USB (make sure it's set to run before HDD via BIOS, you can hit try.

The advantage of USB over CD, is that USBs are much cheaper, you only need a 2-4 GB one, and they are much easier to reuse.

#10 Roderunner

Roderunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:04 AM

Well my friends, I really appreciate all of your quick replies and will use it to decide on which to use.
The good news is:- I can experiment till the cows come home, I have Acronis T I Home.
The bad news is :- the laptop is for my brother's friend and as yet have no idea of make or model.

#11 Roderunner

Roderunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:39 PM

I have put latest Ubuntu Netbook on a USB, only one problem, no Internet. My Netgear router has WPA + WPA2 encryption plus access control. Is this why it wont connect ?

#12 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:51 PM

I can't say for a fact that I know what your problem is, but if at all possible you should establish a hard-wired connection to your router first. This will enable Ubuntu to connect to the internet and download the updates -- there have been a lot since 10.04 came out. There is a chance that the problem you are encountering has been addressed in an update, but if you can't get the update you're in a "Catch 22" situation.

As I mentioned, this was a problem for me as well. I still don't know what happened, but one day it connected and it has been running fine.

#13 Roderunner

Roderunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:18 PM

Hi Capn Easy, When I first got my laptop, I read instructions on how to set-up for wireless including all bells and whistles. When router, desktop but mainly laptop was re booted, the fan changed colour. After a month or so of frustration with the junk installed by Packard Bell and intermittent connection, I installed my own 'upgrade' copy of Vista H Premium. As it was wire connected, I was able to set the router to the laptop and never had the problem again. Will try it later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users