Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus GT

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 KevanMason

KevanMason

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:37 PM

I have been removing SuperAntispyware / Antispyware 2009/2010 / AntivirusGT for a couple of years now with the help of Combofix of course.

It seems to have developed a new method where it brings up a confirmation window upon startup with two button options.

1. "Get Genuine"

and

2. "wait. 25sec" then changes to continue (this delay does get longer everytime you startup the PC / Laptop)

I have found that the exe file "AntivirusGT.exe" is in c:\program Files\AVG\AntivirusGT.exe and is easily removable

The only problem is that when you remove this program, the next time you start up the PC, explorer.exe is never started. (and cannot be started even from Ctrl-Alt-Del then start "new-Task")

I have used Combofix to remove this "Program" and this left 3 windows system files still infected and non-repairable (with AVG at least)

countless runs of AVG were unable to remove these 3 viruses.

I now have a friends laptop with the exact same Malware infection but this one is running Windows 7 64 bit.

I have two questions here (I perhaps should have started two threads!)

1. how can I remove the infections from the system files on the XP laptop?

2. what is the best way to start removing infections on the Windows 7 Laptop?

Many Thanks for any help provided.

Edited by KevanMason, 21 September 2010 - 05:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users