Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Com Forgot It's Got Dvd Writers.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Omnian

Omnian

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 02:01 AM

I just replaced a hard drive in my computer. Simple enough. However when i booted it back up it had assigned "D:\" to the added hard drive which had been "F:\" and the dvd writers which used to be "D:\" and "E:\" no longer show up in my computer. :thumbsup: Any help would be appreciated thanx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 02:13 AM

For reassigning the drive letters see these articles.

XP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;307844&sd=tech

Win98 http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=121244
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Omnian

Omnian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 02:19 AM

Thanx but that doesn't really solve the problem. The DVD writers still aren't showing up anywhere.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 12 November 2005 - 03:18 AM

You have 2 hard drives and 2 optical drives? They are all IDE devices?
How are they arranged on the two IDE channels? Obviously your boot drive is the Master on IDE 0, but where did you put the second hard drive.? Did you change the cables on the optical drives?

I'm guessing you put the second hard drive where one of the opticals was and now you have two optical drives on IDE 1, both set to Slave. Change one of them to Master and you should be right.

Yes drive letters change when you add hard drives into the system, fortunately, as Acklan said, you can re-assign the letters in Disk Management if you have XP.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Omnian

Omnian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:56 AM

You have 2 hard drives and 2 optical drives? They are all IDE devices?
How are they arranged on the two IDE channels? Obviously your boot drive is the Master on IDE 0, but where did you put the second hard drive.? Did you change the cables on the optical drives?

I'm guessing you put the second hard drive where one of the opticals was and now you have two optical drives on IDE 1, both set to Slave. Change one of them to Master and you should be right.

Yes drive letters change when you add hard drives into the system, fortunately, as Acklan said, you can re-assign the letters in Disk Management if you have XP.

hth :thumbsup:

I never changed anything except swhich one of my hard drives for another one. I put the hard drive where there was a hard drive before, i figured it would keep the letter of the hard drive that was there before. The two hard drives are primary and slave, and the boot up setup and bios says i have no optical drives. Iève checked the cords nothing has changed with them.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 05:34 PM

So the BIOS shows the hard drives as Primary Master and Primary Slave is that correct?
Are Secondary Master and Slave on auto?

If you really did not rearrange anything to do with the opticals the only thoughts I have is you have disturbed either the power or IDE cables to those drives or you have damaged the motherboard through static discharge so the 2nd IDE channel is faulty.

Take out the new hard drive and one of the opticals and see what that shows - can you get anything recognised on the second channel?
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 Omnian

Omnian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:15 PM

So the BIOS shows the hard drives as Primary Master and Primary Slave is that correct?
Are Secondary Master and Slave on auto?

If you really did not rearrange anything to do with the opticals the only thoughts I have is you have disturbed either the power or IDE cables to those drives or you have damaged the motherboard through static discharge so the 2nd IDE channel is faulty.

Take out the new hard drive and one of the opticals and see what that shows - can you get anything recognised on the second channel?

Oops! :flowers:
Thank you very much. In my panic i missed the "use the spacebar to toggle" to set the Secondary Master and Slave on auto.

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:50 AM

So you've got your optical drives back? What about the drive letters?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users