Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Service Pack 3 ruins my sound card driver

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bsgranpa

bsgranpa

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:22 PM

First, my system:

Toshiba Satellite M35-S320 running XP Home, V. 2002, Service Pack 3.

Sound card: RealTek AC '97

I never had any problem with my sound until I installed SP3 last year. After that, my sound would go out and stay out for days. I had my hardware checked and the tech said that the sound card was working as it should. Evidently, there is some conflict with SP3 and this older laptop. I tested this spring by reformatting and doing a fresh install. I went for a few days between installing the different service packs. Sure enough, as soon as I installed SP3, I started to have the same problem.

Now, whenever I turn on the laptop and if I anticipate I will want to hear something, I must install SM35xsndx.exe which is the latest driver on the Toshiba site. The installer defaults to a restart after the driver installation. However, if I restart, I hear the Windows shut down music tones when it goes off. Then the sound is gone when it starts up again. Therefore, I must not restart after the driver installation. Sometimes, when the laptop goes into hibernation, I loose the sound after Resuming Windows.

So, I am curious. Is there anything in the start up peculiar to SP3 that corrupts the driver? Is there a way to diagnose the problem and perhaps let me enjoy my computer as before? Perhaps a different sequencing of the drivers at start up so that the sound driver queues up later or last?

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

Not a bump. Just an update to my problem. Usually, when I start the computer and have no sound, I install the driver without the recommended restart after that process. Then I have sound until I shut down and restart the next time. Now, on a few occassions, right at the end of the driver install I get a BSOD. I didn't write down the codes but below is the pop-up which comes up after a crash.

Posted Image

I would love to come up with a "work around" so that I don't have to install the fresh driver over and over. Thanks in advance for any help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users