Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No more Windows 7 but boot sequence still identifies 2 OS

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 voltronDefender

voltronDefender

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:20 PM

Hello;

Recently I have tried Windows 7 Home Premium in an old pc. I installed it on a seperate hard disk (Primary Slave). The Primary Master is Windows XP SP3. After a week of testing I encountered a failure of hard disk (not attributed to Windows 7) and I had to remove the hdd from where I formatted Windows 7 in (Primary Slave).

I noticed that after the boot menu starts I am prompted to select which operating system to choose..."Earlier version of Windows" or "Windows 7".....Huh? I just removed the hdd of the Windows 7....

In the meantime that I have not recieved the RMA replacement of the failed hdd I want to have to boot smoothly and not have a page wherein I will have to choose the OS. Especially that the next choice is not available.

How can I revert back to just going straght to boot to Windows XP SP3?

How is it that the pc is identifying another OS (Windows 7) other than XP SP3...? I removed the hdd already...

I formatted Windows 7 with driver compatibility adjustments (modem / sound - Windows XP XP3) and I used the Windows Vista driver for my Nvidia add-on video card.

Can someone help me on this one.please..

Thank you. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:20 PM

The issue lies with the fact that the Windows 7 installer installed its boot record on the MBR of the primary drive in this case the drive with your Windows XP Install on it. You can try using the repair console in Windows XP which you get there by booting up the setup process as if trying to reinstall the OS onto a new drive and running the command fixmbr.

#3 voltronDefender

voltronDefender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:35 AM

Hello cryptodan:

Thanks for the reply.

I am not very techy but how may I do that?

I am thinking of popping in the WinXP SP3 installation cd and selecting R for repair....I seem to remember trying to do that before but seem to having problems with it. Or am I wrong...?

If by chance this does not work is there any other way to fix it..?

Thanks again for the assistance.

Best regards,

voltronDefender

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:38 AM

You can have a read here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058 it discusses how to use the recovery console and fixmbr.

#5 voltronDefender

voltronDefender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:22 PM

Hi cryptodan;

Thanks for the reply and link. Did that but....

I just tried your tip using the Recovery Console. I popped in the Win XP CD and booted from it. Chose R and hit help to check the options. I typed in fixmbr after C:\Windows\ prompt. It said that "...seems to have an invalid mbr...if your system is not experiencing problems do not continue..." something like that (did not have the inkling to write it down...sorry). I continued anyway and it said that a new mbr has been written.

Upon exiting and rebooting it showed the same boot sequence prompting me to select which operating system to use (Earlier version...Windows 7).

I repeated the Recovery Console procedure that I did but had the same result.

What may seems to be the problem?

What others options do I need to do or take?

Thanks for the assistance again.

Regards:-)

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:00 PM

Do you have the recovery console installed on your computer?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:30 AM

Worth reading, IMO...http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/01/17/how-to-uninstall-and-remove-windows-7-or-vista-leaving-windows-xp-on-dual-boot-system/.

Since you have already eliminated the Win 7 partition, just skip those instructions.

Louis

#8 voltronDefender

voltronDefender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:19 PM

Hi;

@cryptodan;

No I do not have the recovery console installed in the pc. I just popped in the XP cd.

@hamluis;

Thanks for the link. I am checking it out right now....it says,:

(A)

"1) Boot up and log on to Windows XP desktop.

2) Insert the Windows Vista or Windows 7 DVD installation disc into CD-ROM or DVD-ROM optical drive.

3) Run Command Prompt, or click directly to Start menu -> Run command.

4) In the command prompt or the Run text box, issue the following command and hit Enter:
[DVD Drive Letter]:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force

For example,

If the DVD drive path is D:, then enter the following:

D:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force

5) The step will remove the boot menu to select operating system to start."

--- Got confused....please bear with me....I'll follow:

i. all of (A) instructions...

or

ii. since I have already removed the hdd from which Windows 7 was formatted(Primary Slave)use the XP cd and do the "run the “bootsect /nt52 c:” command above from the \boot\ folder of leftover OS immediately to repair the boot partition.".......?

As always a pleasure having your help here.

Regards!

#9 voltronDefender

voltronDefender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

Hi Louis;

Please also see image attached. It maybe somewhat connected to the mentioned BOOT.BAK etc files listed in the link.

Regards! :huh:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:18 PM

You know...I did exactly what you did earlier this year.

I had a dual-boot (2 drives) with XP on one drive, Win 7 on another.

When I broke up mine...I think I just used Easy BCD to modify the BCD folder I eliminated the Win 7 boot, but continued to use the Win 7 bootloader because I was not concerned with whether I used the Vista/Win 7 bootloader...or the XP boot.ini file.

There seem to be various ways of doing this...the key is to decide whether you are going to use the Vista bootloader files or whether you want to use the boot.ini file.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597193

Louis

#11 voltronDefender

voltronDefender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:01 AM

Hi Louis;

Thanks for the reply.

I will check it out. Will get back to you on this.

Regards!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users