Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Prevent files on Xp network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 userpc

userpc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:51 PM

Hello everybody,i need your help,
i have a pc running XP Prof and is connected in the lan of my office as a file server.
I want to protect my files from modify delete copy paste and save from users who connected on my network.I only want to read the files in my office.

Can we find a solution?
Thank you very much looking for your answer.

Kostas

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

If I understand you correctly, I believe that turning off File and Print Sharing in your network settings will do what you need. Only the Client piece needs to be enabled for you to be able to access files on other computers. The File and Print Sharing server allows others to access yours. It's not perfect security, but it will keep the casual browsers out.

#3 userpc

userpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:39 PM

Thank you for youn answer but i would like any user to open and view doc files but i don't want to delete copy modify etc.
That's my problem.
Thank you

#4 _sjm_

_sjm_

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:53 AM

make sure on the share that you make it is set to read-only.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users